Complete Noob to IT qualifications, all help greatly appreciated.

Discussion in 'General CompTIA Certifications' started by BurntOut, Feb 17, 2012.

1. BurntOut

BurntOut New Member

Hi guys.

After working for 12 years in travel and tourism, and now currently in the financial sector (it sucks) I am thinking about a complete career change. At 36 its time to get into something I have always been passionate about and would enjoy doing everyday for the forseeable future.

Since I can remember I have always built my own PC's and help people troubleshoot there systems so I think I would have some valuable knowledge already in the courses I am looking to do. I am interested in doing CompTIA A+ and Network+, I was going to go through Home Learning College as I work Full Time so want it to be a home learning course, but after reading some awful reviews about them I am knocking that on the head.

I read a thread on here where some where mentioning that you can do it yourself for much less than these companies charge. I would be looking any advice you all can provide ie course material, books to get etc. I am from Belfast, N Ireland, so I dont even know if I have somewhere here that do the exams at the end (just another great advantage of living in N Ireland - NOT)

Any help you can supply would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. roro

roro Bit Poster

you could start off with Mike Meyers CompTIA A+ book, has tons and tons of information in there, that is the main book I read for my A+ as well.

Another great source is professor messor videos, all my reviews are done based on his website, Professor Messer, CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Microsoft Certification Training

I am sure other people will suggest more things as well, but just to get you started, that is a couple things right there. I recently just did a career change as well, I passed my A+ last month, I just finished the N+ book and all of the video reviews, So studying on your own, I find is better for those exams at least, not sure about the rest.

Good luck with everything

Certifications: A+, Network +
    WIP: Haven't Decided Yet
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Burn out exists in IT too, what do you do in the finance sector ?

4. BurntOut

BurntOut New Member

Banking Consultant (Savings)

Thanks roro for the info ;-)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Well you picked an industry that uses terms like 'death march' ;)

Who would want to save with a retail bank with saving interest rates of 3% and inflation at 5% the real return is -2% or worse.

I would have thought you are twiddling your thumbs...

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012