'competitive salary + benefits' ???

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Markyboyt, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

Looking at a job on jobserve here http://www.jobserve.com:80/E6DB6CEA7DC7D94F2.job
    and it doesnt say a guideline salary, it just says competitive salary + benefits, at what point would i be likely to find out what this competitive salary is? because everywhere says that you shouldnt bring it up until its brought up, but I dont want to apply for a job, struggle and get time off work to find out its for 12K or something.
    Any ideas?

WIP: A+
  2. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Most likely means "£7.50 per hour plus a Lunch Break" either that or it means "sh1t wage but can be topped up via tax credits" LOL

You pop the question when the agency contacts you. Nowt wrong with asking!

Personally, I do not apply for agency advertised jobs that don't state a salary/per hour range.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  3. Markyboyt

Theres a few optional boxes you can select info in if you choose, theres an option for expected salary so i chose the 15-20k option.
    I could live with £7.50/hr, only came off that wage in january lol. No pay cuts ever ideal but if its necessary and its feasible then its got to be, a sacrifice for the future.

4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Every time an agent rings me up offering me a fantastic job, I cut them straight off before they start and ask them what the salary range is. Been burned far too many times listening to them talk about some wicked-sounding role only to find out they want a senior network admin but only want to pay second-line support money.

I hate them - they are the absolute scum of the Earth, but, especially as you get more experience and better jobs, they are a necessary evil. I have never - NEVER - got a job by replying to a newspaper or online ad directly. They've all been through agencies. I don't agree with the old 'don't ask what the salary is until they tell you'. If that was the case, whenever I'm looking for a job I'd waste 90% of my time listening to recruiterbabble

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I don't know for sure but if the salary is not mentioned especially when they describe the wage as stated above I find it a hard time to believe that it's something spectacular. Actually I am thinking it's more like they are going to negotiate with you something average.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I agree with the others, if a job says competative salary it usually means bollocks pay.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

yup agree with them all, recently had a quick punt at a job with competitive salary just cause it was close to home, they accepted my cv and wanted to see me (actually they seemed very keen)but no info was forthcoming about the salary. So I asked, again they remained cagey and asked me what i wanted so I told them! Funnily enough they never contacted me to arrange the interview.

Im not taking time off for an interview if after all that I find out its less money than I'm on now (it just messes me and my current employer around for nothing)and I dont want to work in a company/organisation that seems not to want to be open enough to even disclose a starting salary!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  8. Povester

Povester Bit Poster

This also makes it sound to me like it's going to be below average pay. We'll pay you crap wages - but be happy at least you're in an IT role.

9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

All being said, you do have to start somewhere but below 14k is dire for your first IT job.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

I agree with GBL (as always :biggrin)

If it's below 15 then you might want to hold out for something else..

It does say that you can call them for more information - no harm in asking? :)

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  11. Markyboyt

As it stands Ive applied for it and like i say ive answered the salary box with the 15-20k bracket, whether they read that who knows, spose ill see if I hear anything (if that makes sense).
    Im always a little cagey about what they mean when they say competitive because if it was good then they would post it like everybody else does, so there up to something, maybe they dont want to give a figure in case they can get it lower with a bit of negotiation, as it stands for me I want to get into IT and im willing to take a pay cut, but not a stupid one out of desperation.

12. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Every time I get a call I tell them up front that I do not want to waste their time if the position is not paying at least (insert salary here). Most of the people who call me appreciate that as it is a waste to go through the entire interview process only to find out the position is paying less than you are currently making.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  13. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

A lot of the time (and I know this to be true for a fact) companies advertise jobs with no intention of hiring anyone for the position - they just want to find out what sort of candidates they are likely to get if a role like that does come up. Often, their in-house recruiters have absolutely no idea what the market value is for IT staff and, as a result, they have to put out some 'feelers' as to where they should peg salary ranges. This is, in my experience, becoming more and more frequent as HR departments end up top-heavy with staff that have been promoted into (ahem) 'senior' roles there because they have been with an organisation for donkey's years and are s*** at anything else. You can probably guess that I'm referring obliquely to government departments/agencies here...

I'm being deadly serious about this - I personally know of two government or government-funded organisations (I worked for both) that brought all their recruitment for IT 'in-house' because they 'didn't want to pay agency fees'. A noble sentiment, which i would agree entirely with, if it weren't for one thing: the real reason they brought them all in-house was because they each had about eight staff that had been promoted into recruitment from HR donkey work because they had to promote them due to a regrading or restructuring and had no work for them to do :rolleyes:

Agencies might be the scum of the Earth, but the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em