company versus university

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by biru, Mar 19, 2006.

1. biru

biru New Member

Hi. Im new to this forum, and IT, and wonder if anyone can give me some advice. I graduated from unviersity about 5 years ago with a degree in mathematics and astronomy. For the past few years I have been teaching English in Japan, and now wish to change my direction and head down the IT path (not sure exactly which IT path yet). Ive recently started a comptia A+ course (online) and will do the Comptia Network course after this. I studyed computing science for a year at university (a long time ago!) but my knowledge of IT is very basic. I don't have any IT experience in the work place. The thing I'm wondering is whether I should look for any job, for the time being, in companies like nokia, ibm, BT etc, and then apply for an entry level helpdesk job once Im in the company(and have finished the comptia courses). Or should i complete the comptia courses, and then do a post graduate IT information systems course at university? Any advice would be much appreciated!

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

The former would be my suggestion.

Once you are 'in' it will be a lot easier to find further employment.

Welcome to CF! :biggrin

3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF! I agree with simon.. its easier once you get your foot into the door and the certs and come later! 8)

Good Luck with the job hunting! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. biru

biru New Member

Cheers for the advice! Thats what I was tending towards anyway. I guess I would have to do more training (certificates) after completing the uni course, so would probably get a head start by getting a job sooner rather than later.
    Great forum by the way...although i've only started using it recently, Ive already found lots of useful info!! :D :D :D :D

5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009