Company Looking To Virualize (Hyper-V), and I want a slice of the pie...

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by Dubfire, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Hi,

Just had a interesting chat to the boss about the companys plans to Virtualize the data centre with Hyper V over the next few years. I have been given the nudge to get clued up then ride the Virtualization crest all the way home:biggrin

So I need to get my head around this subject. Where would everyone recommend as a good starting point?

This is for the desktop exam:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/Exam.aspx?ID=70-669&Locale=en-us

Or this for the server:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/Exam.aspx?ID=70-659&locale=en-us

Or configuring:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/Exam.aspx?ID=70-652&Locale=en-us

Once more Im calling on the forum to answer my distress call!!

Certifications: N+, 270.
    WIP: 291 then 284 for the MCSA.. ITIL...
  2. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Oh come on. I am just about to take 70-652 this weekend and there's already R2 version.

On the topic though.There's so much resources online that it should keep you busy for a long time. Microsoft TechNet site is full of Hyper-V information as Microsoft seems to try to push Hyper-V to compete with VMWare.

I wouldn't bother with Desktop virtualisation unless it's something you're planning to do at work. VDI usually requires massive amount of resources at the data centre as you effectively move and consolidate desktop PC's to servers while dishing out cheaper thin clients for users. Same with application virtualisation. Start with 652 or 659 and take it from there mate.

Good luck

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  3. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Hey man, Im in the public sector and tech moves very sloooow in these here parts. I still dabble in NT4 now and again. Very old school.

Cool, I was swaying toward the configuring side of things anyway, thanks for the advice.

Lab setups, what was everyones? Should I splurge on a ML115? Ive been very close to clicking buy now on several sites but took a deep breath, counted to ten and gave the credit card a break (phew). Ive heard nasty rumours that it cant be run on this box even though its full fat 64 bit?

Certifications: N+, 270.
    WIP: 291 then 284 for the MCSA.. ITIL...
  4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

@ Home: ML115 2.2GHz 8GB RAM 1x160GB 2x500GB HD's running Hyper-V on Server 2008 R2 Standard. 3x 2003 Sever VM's 2x XP Clients. Works great. All from Dabs. That is all. Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs