Comments on MCSE

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by paulp2974, Oct 8, 2008.

1. paulp2974

paulp2974 New Member

What are your comment with this advice I was given about taking the MCSE

Personally, I find the Microsoft exams detached from reality - they are geared
    around what MS think you should know, how MS say it should work and the latest
    new things associated with that particular operating system (OS). They are (the
    exams) NOTHING like the real world. So there's a double-edged sword here, so to
    speak. If you know nothing and are starting from ground zero with, say, MCSE
    2008, then you get fed all the OK war cries for 2008, but know nothing of the
    real world where big businesses are currently running Windows 2003 servers at
    best or Windows NT4 at worst (all the Oss have very different nuances, it's a
    nightmare) and who are loathe to migrate to MS's latest offering immediately
    (it's always bug-ridden and takes a couple of 'Service Packs' to iron them
    out). On the other hand, if you're already in the industry, then you KNOW how
    it works in 'the real world' and when you do the courses, all hell breaks out
    because invariably the comments from existing MCSEs or
    real-world engineers is 'B*ll*cks, it doesn't do that, despite what MS says'.
    Get some serious qualifications in CISCO - the people who MAKE the
    networks run, including the Internet - or go heavily into IT Security in
    general - firewalls, anti-hacking or similar.

WIP: A+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I thought you were taking our advice and starting with the A+? You're a ways off from needing either the MCSE *or* the CCNA. But hey, if you want to go that route, knock yourself out.

I personally think 90% of that quote is bollocks. Microsoft exams are much, MUCH better about giving questions that are relevant to the real world than they were, particularly from back in the NT4 days, where they simply asked trivia. Sure, there's a "Microsoft way" of doing things... but that doesn't mean the questions aren't relevant to what you'll do in the real world. You still need to know the capabilities of Microsoft's server-based OSes.

Companies ARE running, for the most part, Windows Server 2003... but why does the quoted person go after the 2008 exams? Going off on a 2003/2008/service pack rant really does nothing to logically bolster his position. The 2003 exams are still available, and in my opinion, I would recommend them before the 2008 exams (again, once you've got the relevant experience).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. paulp2974

paulp2974 New Member

Hi,

Iam taking your advice, and have already started the A+ study, I just really wanted to know what you guys thought of this advice I was given a week or so ago.
    Now I have posted the thread I can see that it may get some peoples backs up???:twisted:

WIP: A+
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

People being wrong or illogical doesn't get my back up. I just shake my head and smile. :rolleyes:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

There's no point in being skilled in something that no one or hardly anyone uses, unless you are definetly going to be working with it.

Most companies use 2k3 and xp, some still use NT and windows 2000. Better to learn the most used ones first before going for a new one.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

I used to think all of the "Accessibility Features" content in the Windows XP exam was a load of hogwash back when I worked for a large company. Now that I run a small business where I have elderly and handicapped customers, all of those questions suddenly make sense. Same goes for the STOP errors that I thought MS was overdoing it with on the exam. It turns out that I have to troubleshoot several per week and it's darn handy to have them in my head and not have to race to a working computer to Google something.

Not everyone will use a computer the same way you do or that your company does, and the scenarios presented on the exams will pertain to someone out there working in the industry.

My 2 cents.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  7. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Id have to agree and disagree on that.

If you already have IT skills, then I can't think of anything that would put you in a better situation for the future. Sure, learning something that you are likely to NEVER find a use for is never a great idea, BUT as time goes on you will see Server 2008 increasingly being used. Especially with Hyper-V ect.

But as you say below, it's best for newcomers to gain the skills in widely used products first.

Completely agree. :thumbleft

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I was just pointing out that it would be better to be skilled in what your likley to do rather than something you won't use, obviously if you are already skilled in those area then yes it would be a good idea to learn something like 2k8 then you would be ready for or if it is implemented wherever you work.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Who gave you that advice? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs