Color values

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by MickyBobs, Nov 16, 2008.

1. MickyBobs

MickyBobs Nibble Poster

Hi, i noticed in the W3C schools HTML tutorials...it was about color values etc...in the HTML colors values & names section...Well my question is...Isn't it a bit difficult to learn all about the different colors etc?...or maybe just learn them as you go along...Kind of a nonesense question ..i know, but just query!

The Tutorial >>>>>: http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_colors.asp :eek:

WIP: Hoping to gain
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

No need to learn any of them, would be waste of time, just use an application with a colour picker / palette.

Theres two main schemes in computing RGB and HSL.

With RGB you are mixing light like in the experiment in GCSE physics or additive colour.

White light is all wave lengths, or RGB value (255, 255, 255).
    Darkness is the absence of light or RGB value (0,0,0).

Maximum brightness all red light is (255, 0, 0).
    Maximum brightness all green light is (0, 255, 0).
    Maximum brightness all blue light is (0, 0, 255).

You can mix the colours how you wish and interpolate/gestimate to get the colour you want. To be exact use a graphics application with a colour picker. When mixing remember that you are mixing light, so its not subtractive colour like a painter mixing paints.

Oh and often the values in HTML are entered using hexidecimal so 255 -> FF.

Also I'm assuming 24 bit colour which is pretty much standard these days.

3. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

What he said.

Learning colours is just absurd, there are hundreds of programs to do it for you.

Adobe Kuler is a good one.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  4. MickyBobs

MickyBobs Nibble Poster

Thanks for your replie's...very helpful, and even more so, because...possibly unimportantly...I'm colour blind!:eek:

5. Stuzzle

Stuzzle Byte Poster

Well then the good thing about that MickyBobs is if you're designing as well as coding the sites then you'll be more conscious with your design decisions about colour blind users, but hopefully you're taking the time to learn allllllllll about usability and accessability on websites :biggrin

Certifications: A+, MCSA: Windows 7, 70-640, 70-642
    WIP: 70-646
  6. MickyBobs

MickyBobs Nibble Poster

It's mentioned in the course material, does'nt spring to mind how we can help colour blind people too much, but as i'm one of the inflicted...basically means "Don't be too spontaneous" when designing...structuring etc.....

Im only just starting the last part of section 1....Networking!...I got some way to go yet...:eek: