College

Discussion in 'A+' started by del_port, Apr 11, 2008.

1. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

hi,has anyone went to college,finished the course and sat the 601 exam?
    I have my exam in 3 days,haven't done any revision at all as i'm unsure if the exam will just be a follow on from the tests i passed every week at college,and barely any different?,or miles harder than anything in the college course?
    I can't see how it can be harder as surely they can only ask us what we've already covered at college?Which is what the class tests were about.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

This will depend on the college. They have no control over the actual exam, so it is down to them to cover all the material.

Have they not given you any practice exams?

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. DevilsAdvocate

DevilsAdvocate Bit Poster

Hi del_port,

I haven't done A+ at College, but I am at College for CCNA. I can't comment on what the exam will be like compared to what you've done in College, but I can't see it being too different (just a guess, don't take my word for it) but I'd recommend that you do some revision as it really can't hurt, the last thing you want is to go into the exam and not be fully, 100% prepared. If you didn't pass, you'd only be kicking yourself for not revising.

Rob.

Certifications: CCENT
    WIP: CCNA, MCSE, Server+
  4. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Hi Del,

I did my A+ at a local College. The test itself was administered by the college but was treated separatly to the Course in that when the Course ended, we then had 12 months in which to book each exam with the college. I did a bit of research and self-testing after the Course and felt that I had gaps so I got a few A+ books and studied myself for another two months before sitting the first exam. Took the second exam a month later.

Do you HAVE to take the exam in three days or can you postpone it? My advice would to be to talk to your tutor and find out exactly what the situation is. Your tutor may have some extra resources available to help with the exam - I got a cd with a load of links to free A+ practice questions at the end of my course.

If you can't postpone, you better stop posting here and hit the books pdq :)

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  5. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

thanks for the replies so far,yes we were given a massive book at college the CompTIA A+ Complete Study Guide
    ages ago i done every test on the cd which came with it,eventually memorised the answers so it wasn't worth going back to as i couldn't judge my score properly.
    I put so much effort and studying into college,sometimes 20 to 40 hours a week,i got a high passmark ,and i'm just puzzled now what to expect of the exam,i think i'd be shocked if i turned up on exam day and faced endless lengthy questions,but if i were to face something equal to 6 or 7 of those weekly college tests i'd cope fine.
    My course ended more than 2 months ago so i chose to have the exam at this time,i'll go to a test centre to sit the exam as has been mentioned.

6. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

hi harry,the practice exams were on the cd ,i done all those a while back while i was attending the course.

7. hbroomhall

So what 'CD' was this? Without knowing that it is hard to say whether the practice exams were like the real exam or not.

Harry.

8. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

the cd that is provided with the book CompTIA A+ Complete Study Guide .
    The comparison between the weekly college tests and the exams rather than the cd were what i was looking at.
    I think i'm going to have to study for a day or two by the sounds of it.
    I had almost 10 years hands on computer repair experience before i began the course so that helped me out a lot.

9. hbroomhall

Don't know that book, so I have no idea how good the tests are I'm afraid.

Harry.

10. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

I did Cisco IT Essentials 1 @ a local College followed by self study & took both hardware & software A+ exams and passed them.
    If you have not studied for the exam you may well fail it!

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  11. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

It'll be the Sybex one Harry, so it should be pretty decent.

12. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

thanks for the responses,yes it was the cisco course i did,i'll let you know how i get on in the exam.
    I've just started looking over the course work i done and i do think i'll need to start revising,i had already forgotten all the fire extinguisher categories that are covered in the course,it will be interesting to see how close to college tests the exams are.
    College questions were rarely indepth and strung out,we had an hour to do them every week but you could finish them in 20 minutes.

13. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

Hi,
    I’ve now sat the exam,only did two hours of studying in the end,I’m not that great at retaining everything I read, so i went with the theory of if I don’t know it already then so be it,and I’ll accept the consequence.
    I did pass,I got 675 ,which is the minimum pass,I think I got 16 wrong out of 100 questions.
    There really isn’t enough time set aside for this exam,they give you 90 minutes for 100 questions.It took me 75 minutes to get through the lot ,but I flagged 30 questions I wanted to return to [these were the only tricky questions out of the 100 in my view] but with only 15 minutes left I couldn’t do that so just finished after 75 minutes.
    Regarding college,the exam questions were barely any different from college tests,I thought there would be plenty of long winded 10 sentence questions,but there were about 20 or less out of 100 questions.
    I expect to get a higher result on my next A+ as I know what to expect now,but a pass is a pass at the end of the day.
    Now I know the questions I don’t think studying would really have helped all that much as they are pretty much random questions,and my worst subject I did well in for some reason,I got an incredibly easy windows xp question wrong that there is no way I should have got it wrong,and that I’ve answered correctly in the past with ease,I can only blame the lack of exam time.

14. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

a pass is a pass so well done :)

Good luck on the next one

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  15. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

thanks,i'm going to try for the 604 to complete my A+ ,as there appear to be no networking questions in that exam,and i'm hopeless at anything related to networking,although as i say i seem to have got nearly all the networking questions correct in the exam i've just done,which i'm mystified by.

16. greenbrucelee

is your job related to the 604?

most people do the 602 unless an employer requires it.

17. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

no,the job i'd like is connected to the 604,i'd rather be fixing stuff than answering phones,some people that take 602 want to work in call centres which i wouldn't want to do.
    Out of interest how long did the 601 take you?and did you feel there was a shortage of time?
    this is the description for 604
    CompTIA A+ Depot Technician 220-604 (March 2007)
    This series will prepare you for the CompTIA A+ IT Technician exam, which is one of the three second exams you can choose from to gain your CompTIA A+ certification. The IT Technician exam focuses on providing technical support involving a great deal of computer repair and troubleshooting.

18. greenbrucelee

I thought the 601 had too many ambiguous questions in it and there was still 30 miniutes left when I clicked the finish button, the 602 was much easier which I aced and it only took 32 minutes to do it.

19. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep, a pass is a pass. Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!