Coffee Drinkers - BulletProof Coffee

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by SimonD, Mar 13, 2015.

1. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

So I am always one to try bio hacking and have been listening to the BulletProof Diet Audible book, it sounds amazing (coffee with grass fed butter instead of milk, sounds disgusting but actually supposed to be really nice). Not only does it help lose weight but it also frees up the brain ensuring better memory retention etc.

I was wondering, as I am not a coffee drinking how many people have tried this?

Better still, does anyone have a good place to get decent single source (rather than blended) beans?

Apparently it's all about the bean, ensuring that it's not had mould on it at any time during the growing\processing process.

I could just go for the Bulletproof beans but that's £15 for 340g which could turn out to be quite expensive (throw in the French coffee press, blender etc).

Sounds weird I know but willing to try pretty much anything.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  2. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

I don't know of that book, so not sure on the other content, but personally I think the best way forward has to be all round good quality diet and exercise.

I am not too keen on these Fad type approaches and think that if you have a good diet and workout and keep fit then you will naturally find yourself much more alert and able to focus, also once you have settled to that diet then a nice piece of naturally occurring sugar filled fruit will give you just as much of an up in your ability to not need the caffeine based alternatives.

That said I am no expert, I am 15st and have a beer belly that Gazza's friend would be proud of! haha.

I just think if it's health and low weight etc you are after then you need to get the basics done, not hit fads of special coffees or supplements and that kind of thing.

My 2 cents worth. :)

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

And there in lies the problem, I commute between 5 and 6 hours a day on the train, I am lucky to get home by 20:45 in the evening so getting to the gym during the week is nigh on impossible.

Also I am really bad at snacking, fruit whilst lovely also has too much fructose and sugar for a fat guy isn't good. A high protein diet low in carbs (well, during the morning) and high in good fats does work for me but that then requires buy in from the wife (and it can get expensive).

I went Paleo for a couple of months about 18 months ago and it was the best thing for me but my wife is a stay at home mum and cooks pasta and cakes all the time, not conducive to a Paleo lifestyle (which she wasn't willing \ prepared to live).

In the 3 years I have been seeing my PT my weight has fluctuated by over 16KG due to work stress etc.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Yeah I know how you feel, to an extent. I don't have the same travel time as you etc but I do always find it difficult to get the wife on board when I try to stick to healthy eating.

As for fruit snacking, that was in reference to if you need a spike in your energy or concentration. I used to snack on Almonds and Celery Sticks and the likes, to avoid the OTT sugar side of things, but it's very difficult to stick to anything like that when you get home and there are chocolates and crisps and cakes everywhere! lol.

Is cycling/jogging to/from the train station something you could do that might be worthwhile? Depending how close you work and live to the stations? Might at least give an opportunity for a little workout of sorts.

I also tend to work long days, for a long time when I was working as an operator on a 24x7 shift I was doing 13 hours day and then going to the gym for an hour and it did wipe me out, but then I had a lot of off time as well due to the shifts where I could relax and catch up (Or drink beer and eat crap, thus completely nullifying all my good work for the week :blink).

Maybe something like Insanity would be worth while? Shortish workout that you can do at home in the evening etc? Not ideal I know, but better than nothing. Or I think he has anew one now doesn't he that's even shorter workout time, 20-25 mins a day or something?

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  5. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Just had to google this, surprised there was a diet I hadn't tried to be honest ha ha One of the lads in work is into his nootropics, not sure what to make of all of that either

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  6. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Well i did this for a good few months and i can say, yes it did work.

I went down from 75 kg to 70 kg in the space of a month, which I liked, but i missed eating.

The thing is I play sports, i cant take that stuff to play football or squash etc, i dont get the release that i would do from carbs i spose, and this is meant as a meal replacement, except for your main meal etc. I had to clean stuff up every day, the mixing was messy so that sort of put me off as well.

If you want to lose weight, i really suggest just getting rid of bread, and eat more protein based meals, and take fruit for snacks. Bread just sits and can take a while to shift so to speak.

The other thing is, with the bullet proof diet, the stuff they sell is way over priced. Look on amazon for the coffee beans, 1KG, for £12.49 last time i bought them, and they are prepped and sorted in the same way as they beans he sells. Coconut oil from Holland and barret is good but expensive, i use 3 teaspoons, the MCT oil is alsso expensive. But you will use the coffee more and the last 2 should last a while.

With the Oil, work your way up adding that it, it takes some getting used too taste wise. The butter is awesome, kerry gold, unsalted from grass fed cows, now im back on bread (boooooo) its amazing on toast, and better than that crap they advertise on the telly.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680