codeyear.com

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by satz, Jan 10, 2012.

1. satz

satz Bit Poster

Hey is any one taking part in codeyear.com, A weekly coding tutorial

It's got a lot of press coverage seems quite interesting

2. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

I signed up, did 7 tutorials. Java so far: not sure what and how much you'll learn by the end. I've got so many goals this year I'm not sure this will keep going steady but I'll see how I go.

If anyone is taking this seriously, please keep us updated. 8)

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  3. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Is it just Java?

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  4. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

I think it is just JavaScript across the year.

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
    ThomasMc likes this.
  5. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Ah right, cheers Boffy.

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I'm doing it
    i'd already done all of their existing labs so this will be interesting, not sure its quick enough paced for me
    I did an HTML/CSS 30 day intro in a hours this weekend :P

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Your a machine Ryan! :D

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  8. satz

satz Bit Poster

I just got the first lesson the other day, still not got round to it might have a crack at it today. I was just reading an article saying along the lines of the ICT criteria in schools is quite pants compared to global and industry standards. Wish i learned to code earlier

9. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

JavaScript :eek: not the best language to teach programming concepts with.

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  10. satz

satz Bit Poster

what do you thinks a good starting point?

11. supernova

I would say Python.

12. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

C is good system level language.

C# if you want a general purpose higher level language.

Target platform and problem domain are likely to significantly affect your choice...

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  13. supernova

Your first language should be a language that teaches you to program and about languages in general.

14. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

By definition any programming language that is your first will teach you to program.

Knowledge of languages in general or being a polyglot programmer becomes more important as you build your career, its desirable but not essential when starting out.

For example people may be successful for a few years in their career with just in depth SQL or JavaScript, only later learning other languages and language features.

These are also examples of the problem domain dictating the language, they may be data analysts or junior DBA's so they use SQL, or they may be web designers so they use JavaScript.

If you want to code for mobile devices, an open source OS, Mac, or if you want to code games or system level code, these are target and domain influences, they will significantly affect your language choice for implementation.

You may need to start off with one or more easier languages if your chosen language is one of the 'harder' ones to learn. However this is not always the case, you may chose to start straight with C# and XNA to write games, or Objective C to write Mac apps, or JavaScript for web.

My first languages were COBOL and ADA, quickly followed by 68k assembler, C, Prolog and SQL.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  15. supernova

Various languages (assemblers aside as a class of there own) have different sets of inherent qualities which make them easier to grasp, as well as making various concepts and paradigms easier to grasp.

Also various languages are better than others when it comes to enforcing good coding practices and generally help people become better coders.

As not all languages are multi-paradigm I think its best to choose one , or as close to as possible (although often you can use DSL(s) on top), as your first language whilst meeting the other criteria above. Personally I think this gives you a set of skills making it easier to pick up any language.

Of course, knowing any language is only a small part of being a good developer and coder there's a ton of other subjects to grasp as I am sure you would agree.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012