Co-op placement prospects with A+

Discussion in 'A+' started by Adam Niazi, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Adam Niazi

Adam Niazi New Member

Hi

I am going to be starting university in September of 2013 in Computer Science. I want to do something productive while I am waiting to start university other than just working. I did some research online and found out that A+ certification is essential to getting an entry level job in IT. What I am wondering is, since my program is a co-op program, would it be beneficial to get my A+ certification and would it make me more appealing to employers? My biggest concern is that it will expire in 3 years, before I graduate, so I don't want to do it if it won't make a big difference. Your advise and help would be appreciated. BTW, I will be going to school somewhere in Southern Ontario between Windsor and Ottawa, but most probably in Toronto.

Thanks

2. cee134

cee134 New Member

You should work on as many certificates as you can get so you have them when you get out. Since you will be studying related topics, it makes since to get what you can and looks more impressive on your resume. Also you want to get real world experience so that you have a better chance of being hired after school. It is easy to intern and work for places at college that will give you that kind of experience. Also, you'll want to find a good intern job your Junior year, so that cert. may help you, plus you'll probably want to work in the field in summer, so once again, it will help, since you probably won't get much better then desk help work, unless you land a really good internship. So no matter what, it will help you in whatever you end up doing. Don't worry about re-certification for it. There is alot of ways to re-cert, and might be able to get most of the required credits from things you do in school. Even if you can't, you'll know the material and it won't be that hard to re=cert. Or wait a year, and you'll have it when you graduate, but personally, I would just get it while you have the time.

WIP: A+
  3. parman05

parman05 Byte Poster

Also if you take the comptia route if you pass a higher lever cert (n+ security +) it will renew you lower certs.

Certifications: A+, Network +, MCTS WIN7 (70-680), MCITP WIN7 (70-685), MCSA WIN7, Linux +,LPIC-1, Novell CLA 11, SUSE 11 Tech Spec, DC Tech Spec
    WIP: 70-640, 70-642, security +, CCNA