Cloud based MS labs environments

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by thetokyoproject, Nov 18, 2017.

1. thetokyoproject

thetokyoproject Byte Poster

Apologies if this is a silly question but is there such a thing where you can pay a subscription cost and get access to a cloud based lab environment for MS servers and workstations.

I know that you can set up your own on premise lab but would be happy to explore any cloud services out there.

Any recommendations or advice would be appreciate. Thank you.

Certifications: 271
  2. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

There's Microsoft Virtual labs..not sure if that would be what you are after though.. that doesnt cost a subscription as far as I know. I cant remember the specifics of it but I remember using it when trying to learn a few things.

3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Another vote for the virtual labs. Check those out. As @Juelz says tho. These are to play with the technology, but not to be used for your own workloads or data. I suppose it depends on what you want. Alternatively check out the free trial for Azure here. You can then pay if this is what you're after but be careful that you don't go over budget, again it all depends on what you want to do. A lab or more of a proper dev environment https://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/?

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. thetokyoproject

thetokyoproject Byte Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried the MS Virtual lab. Although it was useful as a tool for covering specific learning areas, they didn't have the flexibility for any variation in setup. For instance, if I wanted an Exchange, an AD server and a couple of Win 10 clients, there's no option for this.

I'll take a look at the Azure option as if it gives more options to create more specific lab scenarios, then this would be more useful.

Certifications: 271
    JK2447 likes this.
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

It might be a bit harder to find this exact option, but I typically use Hyper-V builtin within windows to test Windows Server and any other Application like Exchange, AD. AD is quite easy to setup and get going in a VM, Exchange should not take too long to deploy from what I remember.

There is also Microsoft Action Pack subscription that you can subscribe to and get access to Azure, O365, etc if you wish to learn those technologies. I currently use the Action Pack to learn stuff about Azure AD, O365, etc.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
    thetokyoproject likes this.