Resolved clients not connecting to SCCM through PXE on a VM

Discussion in 'Software' started by Theprof, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I am having an issue where no matter what I do, my vm client wont connect to SCCM through PXE. The weird part is that I can connect to WDS through PXE.

I've added the PXE service port on SCCM, I've also setup the vm drivers in SCCM...

Any ideas what it could be? let me know if you need more info.

Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
    Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

A couple of ideads to try

I am about to go to bed because I am v drunk. HAve you made sure traffic is allowed both ways when setting fw settings and port sttings for SCCM,

Can you send and receive from main router? would say loopback will test it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Yeah that all seems to be good since I can connect to WDS...

I got further now actually... now I can connect to the server using PSP (PXE Service Port) from SCCM but I get an error tftp download: smsboot\x64\abortpxe.com

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

PSP is actually the PXE Service Point.

Now a couple of questions. Is the VM a VM Workstation, Server or ESX Guest or is it Hyper-V. Secondly if it's Hyper-V did you use the legacy adapter?

Next have you configured ports 66 and 67 on the DHCP scope? Port 66 should be set to the PXE Service Point server (FQDN), and port 67 should be set to \SMSBoot\x86\wdsnbp.com.

You may also just want to add the SLP (Server Locator Point) role to the Config Manager box.

Finally have a read of the PSP logs and see what it says there.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

So it's all figured out!

1. I ended up removing the PXE Service point and recreating it with the option of enable unknown computer support.

2. When I tried to get my client to connect to PXE I was getting an error that sated no Advertisements were available on the PXE service point. I then recreated my Task Sequence and advertised it to the collection I created.

3. Added the Computer association using the MAC address and UUID. Although I know one or the other would work too.

4. Booted up with the client again and all is well, connected and now preparing the workstation.

I've attached SCCM at work :biggrin...

I must of spent practically the whole weekend figuring how to do this and learned quite a bit. After all I will need to implement this at work so I better know what I am doing!

Thanks for the help guys!

Attached Files:

6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

glad you sorted it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

For sure! This thing is a monster! but if you get it working right it's a very interesting application.