Cleaning CD's

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by flex22, Nov 8, 2003.

1. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I have some CBT Nugget CD's, and I just thought I'd have a look at them.I haven't used them for a while and they've been hidden among all my other study materials.

I just put the CD into the drive but it made a weird churning noise and the CD couldn't be recognized, so I swiftly removed the CD, so as to not cause the drive any damage.

I don't know if anybody has the CBT nuggets for windows 2000, but the CD's are housed in plastic sheeves and not separate CD cases.

I had a look at the CD's to see what was wrong with them.It seems that they have stuck to the side of the plastic sheeve.The CD's aren't smooth.I reckon they aren't spinning properly in the drive because they need cleaning.

I will buy some cases for the CD's, but how do I clean them now.Do I need to go buy something or what.

2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I know that there's loads of cleaning products around you could try Flex, but to be honest, I go with BREATHING on them, then wiping radially with a soft (lint-free) cloth.

You also prompt me to mention a very painful lesson I learned.

When fairly new to this computer-owning lark, I used to take great pride in looking after all my precious CDs. To this end, I would open each CD case, and if the disk was not "straight", I would spin it round in the case until it was.

It was only after a few years, and a strangely high number of disks getting knackered, that I realised the problem.

Whilst spinning them round, I was knackering the disks myself. After a while, many of the cases were either getting cracked on the inside, or gathering cr@p below where the disk sits, so every time I spun them, I was scratching the underside of them. :cry:

Hey, we live and learn.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Well I intend to make a backup copy of these once they're clean.
    Basically, they've stuck to the plastic sheeving and cr@p has built up on them.
    One of them is ok, I just played it now, the "Security" one.

One of the CD's is plastered to the sheeving so I'm gonna have to be delicate removing that one :eek:

They cost me so I want to sort them and certainly don't want to knacker them

Every time I go to the office suppiles store I always bloomin forget to buy some CD cases.I'm defo gonna remember next time.

I'll try giving them a clean with a cloth, whether that alone will work, I'm not sure.I think maybe it needs some kind of spray to get the stickiness of the plastic off.

Thanks for the advice.

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

I suppose soaking them in warm, soapy water would be a good place to start - then see about shelling out for the sprays, etc... :?:

5. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Put the CD's in water.Really :!:
    I thought that would destroy them :?:

6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

They're not made of sugar, Flex :eek:

You'll be fine :)

7. OscarzDad

OscarzDad New Member

Rubbing Alcohol works really well. Gets most of the crap off 'em.
    Also, If you've ever seen the disc resurfacing kits, I was skeptical, but it worked. Saved a couple of cd's and dvd's for me.
    Good luck!

8. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

I remember being told many moons ago that you must rub the cd from the centre outwards when cleaning.

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  9. kelton

kelton Nibble Poster

That is correct - never rub round in circles always from the inside outwards as Nelix says. I dont think water would ruin them - as long as you dry them out properly. No idea what other liquids would do to the cd!

10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

OH NO !!! I tried the above, and this happened

[​IMG]

:microwave

11. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  12. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

I Dont Know.......If you were looking for the fractal look them you were succesful.

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  13. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

:cry: Still at least new have a new coaster for your tea cup. Another 5 and you'll have a complete set. :)

Andrew

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong