CIW Website Design Manager Exams

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by raygerrard, Aug 3, 2005.

1. raygerrard

raygerrard New Member

hi iv just signed upto the forum so hi everyone. I was wondering if there is anyone who has completed the CIW qualification because i was wondering what the exams are like, iv just started the CIW with Skillstrain and id like to know what sort of questions they ask.
    Thanks,

Ray.

2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi Ray,

Welcome to CF. Glad you found us. :D
    I, personally haven't studied or taken an exam for CIW but I am sure someone who has will be here soon.
    From what I can gather it is general e-commerce training. Have you made or plan to build any websites already? I take it that is your goal?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Hi there.
    I've done the CIW Master Designer course, so if I can give you any help I'll be happy to.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. dee1810

dee1810 Byte Poster

Hi

I'm new here. I am studying CIW Web Site Design Manager, through Scheidegger Training who are based in Luton.
    The title may have changed slightly, since I first enrolled, but I DO know that I am aiming to take 5 exams next Spring. :ohmy

I do know where to get hold of this information via Scheidegger, but I was wondering, does anyone know exactly how much the exams fees are?

BTW, there isn't any e-commerce involved in this course. I'm sure that the e-commerce section is a very different exam.

Certifications: Foundations, Site Designer & JavaScript
    WIP: Server Admin, and Perl
  5. Nailbomb

Nailbomb Bit Poster

hi,

The reason people keep mentioning e-commerce(ibelieve) is because the courses do deal with some, not to mention the fact that they are commerciallly based, meaning designed to get you a job in the corporate sector.

I myself am taking the ciw course with skills train, who are the same as scheidegger, from what I gather the question will be on what you study, but they will be presented in a multiple choice format.

I hope this helps, but as to the e-commerce thing, yes it deals with it, but the main aspect of the course is hands on web-design.

Certifications: none yet :-{
    WIP: C.I.W. website design manager
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

CIW Master Site Designer and Web Site Manager are not the same thing. The CIW site details the courses here
    E-Commerce designer is part of the Master Designer course but not the Manager one.

In Designer you do Foundations, Site Designer and E-Commerce Designer. In Manager you do Foundations, Site Designer, Server Administrator and Web Languages (Perl and JavaScript).

None of the CIW courses are 'hands on' or practical. You'll gain a lot of knowledge, sure, but you can certify and still not be able to design or publish a website.
    Any practical work that you get will be supplied by your training provider as part of their course work if they choose to do so.
    It's worth asking them if they assign you projects to do, or if they just give you a book to read.

7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Dee. Put yourself out of your misery and call Pearson Vue on this number: 0800-7319905.
    They will be able to quote you prices for any exam you care to mention. If you check out the CIW link in my last post, then you'll know what exams you're supposed to be doing too.

8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

104.58 GBP including VAT.

9. Nailbomb

Nailbomb Bit Poster

Hey all,

I hate to be a smarmy bitch, but skills train are including my exam fees in my loan, ahh, this is really the life is it not?

Perhaps not, I still have to pass!

Certifications: none yet :-{
    WIP: C.I.W. website design manager
  10. Tecx

Tecx Bit Poster

Hi,
    Yes thats it nailbomb, My exams are included in the price of my course.
    With skilltrain all of their courses included the exam in the price.
    You just have to make your way to the exam center. :tongue

Certifications: CLAIT,ECDL
    WIP: CIW WEBMASTER
  11. dee1810

dee1810 Byte Poster

Thanks for all of your advice, boys!

Seriously, I have "no sweat" about these exam fees, it just wasn't explained thoroughly enough earlier, that's all!

I won't have to re-mortgage or anything! :D

:super

My other half was "fretting" that he can't change his car, again!!!
    I just told him that I would ask some people who might know (you lot, silly) he thought I was going to need a couple of grand for my exam fees.

Certifications: Foundations, Site Designer & JavaScript
    WIP: Server Admin, and Perl
  12. mikey3266

mikey3266 Bit Poster

They pay true but you pay out and then get reimbursed. If your course is paid, they pay up straight off. Otherwise, it's your initial outlay and the cost comes off the course they told me. THEN, they did both. A cheque arrived, followed by a couple of days later a letter saying the fee had been deucted from my course.

Suffice to say, I never let them know. If the right hand isn't talking to the left thats their problem.

The best of luck, Foundations is easy.

Certifications: CIW Associate, CIW Javascript
    WIP: CIW Website design manager
  13. mikey3266

mikey3266 Bit Poster

Skillstrain are pants, echo what I've said before, they answer e-mails, not questions!. What good is that?.

Materials and the course are ok though. Personally, I enjoy it.

Certifications: CIW Associate, CIW Javascript
    WIP: CIW Website design manager