CIW Web Design Advice

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by Wiz, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Wiz

Wiz Bit Poster

I'm thinking of jumping in to the CIW in Website Design or master CIW designer, what would you all say the best way to go about this is.

Self study? if so what software books etc would be needed or to go with one of these training providers? to get the certificate.

Any help would be great

8)

WIP: CIW A+ N+
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I know very little about the certification, but from what I've gathered, it's within the scope of possibility to be able to self-study.

I don't know how much about web design you know going in, but if you no nothing at all, learning HTML and CSS would be your first step. For that, all you need are a couple of books on the subject, a text editor, and a web browser.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Wiz

Wiz Bit Poster

I know a bit as i've dabbled with a few sites mainly HTML, nothing big to say i know it but something to say i get the idea of it.

Just don't seem to know where to go from there, i'll get the hang of CSS but it's trying to find the right road after that.

4. Mark L

Mark L Bit Poster

I'm in a similar position myself, still trying to decide whether to go self study or take one of the courses out there. As far as I can see, most of it should be OK for self study, but some bits I'm not sure where the information can be found.

Stuff like CSS, XHTML and the networking part are easy enough to find books, or even tutorials on the net, but where would one go about finding the information for the requirements on identifying job roles and that sort of thing?

WIP: CIW Foundation
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

We do have a thread pinned at the top of this forum that leads you to info on the various CIW exam requirements:

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread12161.html

I recommend having a look and poking your nose into the various links. Discover what information and technologies are involved, then see what books on the open market might be a good match. Just a place to start.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. Wiz

Wiz Bit Poster

Yeah i'm starting to get the hang of reading through that site and understanding all the letters and numbers, seeing what i need to do and what is involved in the exam.

Plus if anyone has any other resources which would be handy to have i'll sure take them ;)

7. chetan.crasta

chetan.crasta Bit Poster

Hi Wiz,
    I'm working towards CIW too - have been doing so for the past month or so (see http://destination-code.blogspot.com ).
    Looking for somebody I could team up with - it's kinda challenging studying for the CIW on my own.

8. Wiz

Wiz Bit Poster

I think without a rough guide on what to study it's hard on where to start even if you have the knowledge that's what i'm finding, all the others which i'm studying have a set path but with CIW its all over the place

9. MickyBobs

MickyBobs Nibble Poster

Im doing the home study route via skilld train , for my CIW Web design managres course, and loving it...though it does make your brain swell sometimes, but still enjoyable.

My advice to anyone thinking of this path is:

(1) You got to have the passion first of all.
    (2) Eagerness to learn.
    (3) Have enough of brain cells!
    (4) Focus, aims.

On top of all this i also think you need patience, finding time acctually studying isnt easy, something called LIFE keeps getting in the way!

Ps: Don't become disheartened too easily, this can become your enemy, fight and you will succeed.:eek:

WIP: Hoping to gain
  10. Wiz

Wiz Bit Poster

3 out of 4 ain't bad for me then lol