CISSP-ISSMP

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by Rob1234, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

I recently took the ISSMP exam which is a concentration of the CISSP exam so before you can take the ISSMP exam you have to sit and pass the CISSP exam. The ISSMP exam requires that a candidate demonstrate two years of professional experience in the area of management on a large enterprise-wide security model. The exam is 3 hours and is made up of 125 questions.

The biggest problem I found with this exam was there was very little study material around to help prepare for the exam, ISC2 recently updated the domains and the only up-to-date information I could find was the official ISC2 book and like most ISC2 books it was not an easy read and there was a few spelling errors and at times the book can be hard to read and follow.

I was surprised when I sat the exam how many of the questions where not covered in the official book the exam assumes you have over at least 4 years security experience but if you just brought the book and hoped that would be enough I would say you would struggle.

It is quite a niche exam there is only 55 ISSMP's currently in the UK compared with over 5000 people having the CISSP. I do not think the exam was too difficult and studied for it for around 2 months and imagine it will become more popular in time.

Certifications: A few.
  2. waynewonder

waynewonder New Member

Thanks for the write up Rob appreciated! I'm thinking about taking the Cissp at some point this year to complement my technical knowledge plus the security k owl edge that I have. Want to go into info sec full time at some point so will be self studying for my Certs. Would the Cissp be 1st on your list or should I do a Sscp etc?

I like the technical side of security but also the governance side and management side

Certifications: MCP
    WIP: MCSA
  3. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

If you got the required experience for CISSP I would say go for that but the SSCP covers more technical side so you may find that easier to do first it is also a easier exam in general.

The CISSP is losing a bit of its value as it has now became a bit of an HR cert where all jobs are asking for it even if it is not relevant so everyone is getting it, if you have the money and want to go technical security the SAN courses are well regarded by some and due to costs and how they do the training courses not many people have there certs which keeps them a bit more elite if you know what I mean.

Certifications: A few.
    waynewonder likes this.
  4. waynewonder

waynewonder New Member

Yeah I've got the 5 years experience in about 5 domains in my career but 100% in 3. I make you right about the Cissp becoming a hr cert just like the mcse and currently the Ceh was back in the day. I might do the Sscp first due to it being cheaper then maybe do a Cism or Cissp

Certifications: MCP
    WIP: MCSA