Cisco Time

Discussion in 'General CompTIA Certifications' started by craigie, Mar 25, 2010.

1. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Looking back it seems wierd that I only passed my CCNA last August, and before then I hadn't even been on a Cisco Router. I did my first install at the end of August 2009.

Pretty much everyday I'm working on Cisco stuff, mainly PIX's but clients are purchasing more ASA's.

Got three projects next week all involving Cisco gear. Which I thought I would share with you.

Saturday I'm in Wales as a client is chaning ISP's so need to configure the Cisco Router and PIX. They have Site To Site VPN's to 19 other sites, so it will take along time to get everything done.

Wednesday I'm local but installing a 2x Cisco Router to NLB onto a SonicWall for Active/Active failover.

Thursday I'm in Grimsby installing a Cisco ASA onto a Leased Line and then I need to create a load of site to site VPN's,

Happy days :biggrin

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Better you than me mate :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Lmao, just been told I have another one next week as well.

That's four Cisco installs/migrations within a week.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  4. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Nice one mate, all good for the CV. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Well at least you're having fun! Man, I am just starting to get into all of this stuff... can't wait to start doing these kinds of things.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Right then, I'm off to Wales

I think I saw a sheep, I did, I did :D

7. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Back from Wales line migration was a success!

Site to site vpn's up x 6

Typing this on my new HTC desire :)

8. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

9. Sparky

Heard you the first time....

Only kidding mate, good job! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  10. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I was going to get one of those Desire's. Not sure if they post every message to a forum twice :)

Congrats on the migration though :)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  11. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

12. Sparky

Heard you the first time....

Only kidding mate, good job! :biggrin

13. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Oops :)

14. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Well what a week!

Performed another Cisco Line Migration on Wednesday night after hours and then hooked up a couple of site to site VPN's on ASA's. Got my head round the IOS on these now, as I used to be much stronger on the PIX's.

Today, I have been in Grimsby as a company went into administration and then was brought out. I was sent to site with the instructions that they think they have a leased line and you need to make it work back to Head Office.

So I went to site ready for action to, Cisco Small Business SA520W (no ASA's in stock ATM), Gigabit Switches, WAP's cables etc.

The place was in chaos, but I was pointed to the remnants that was the comms cabinet, all that was left was the patch panel and some network cables (no server either).

So I lashed in a rack mounted the Cisco Small Business SA 520W and configured this and also the Cisco PIX at the other end of the tunnel, made it the DNS, DHCP, WAP server etc as well.

Have to say I'm really impressed with the SA 520W, even though it was alien to me using a Cisco in a GUI!

Recabled the comms cabinet after installing the switched, then configured everyones emails, AS400 access back at head office. DHCP Reservation some printers and labelled all the equipment and documented everything for the client.

Just got back and recieved a really nice email from them, saying that if I ever need a personal reference then they will supply once as I went above and beyond there expectations (from Head Office) which was just to do the comms and Site to Site VPN tunnel.

Nice when you end a week on that note.

Got another Cisco install next week happy days :D

15. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Nice cragie good job! I my self have a hectic week.... I am in the process of deploying citrix in our three china offices.... then tomorrow I have to setup the citrix access gateway appliance, and do more tests.... no sleep either btw, I am going nocturnal, with all day long configs and setups and going into the night... Happy days indeed!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  16. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Thats what I'm talking about put yourself out there for either an epic failure or massive appreciation from your peers.

Well done mate, I'm sure your company are grateful and when it comes to even more projects I'm sure they will consider you.

17. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Agreed, at that point with very little room for mistakes because of deadlines, man that's a stressful situation but I can't explain what it is, but I don't get that stressed at all actually... kind of fun I find :twisted:

That is of course until something goes wrong, then I am in for an epic fail and the learning curve, man it's not easy!... I told my boss to send me on the citrix training, because up until now, I've been teaching my self on best practices from forums and books... And that isn't always easy...