Cisco security OR Comtia Security+?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by ZeeIsOn, Nov 10, 2009.

1. ZeeIsOn

ZeeIsOn New Member

Hi All,

I have been lurking around for sometime but thought I would join as I am need of the help of some of you IT pros here :p

I have CCNA, and have been asked to go for a security+ course by my employer however I would much rather do a CCNA security as I think its more practical? not sure though

Would appreaciate your advise. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2009
    Certifications: Beng Computing Degree, CCNA, ITILv3 Foundation, CCNA Security, Comptia Security +, CCNP
    WIP: CCSP (Now known as CCNP security, then CEH, CISSP and maybe CCNA Voice/Video coz I have know Idea about those!)
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Hi,
    CCNA Sec is all Cisco where as Security+ is a more general Security cert that is vendor neutral. S+ has the beauty of never expiring unlike your 3 year CCNA will. I'm sure the CCNA Sec is a great one to have but as I've only done one I'd say go for Sec+ because you won't ever have to renew it, then get your CCNA Sec.
    Cheers
    Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

To add to the point, you don't actually mention why the employer is asking you to get the cert. General knowledge to beef up your skills? Are you taking on a security responsibilities, and if so are they Cisco or multiple vendors?

Without knowing more, I'd agree with jk2447 that a vendor neutral cert is what I'd consider.

4. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Security+

The CCNA Security is Cisco centered. It covers all the major protocols, but if you have no understanding of security then the security+ is the way forward then look at the vendor specific courses

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  5. JamesCG

JamesCG Bit Poster

I agree with the others, security+ is a lot broader, so unless your company needs you to focus hard on cisco technologies, it's probably the way to go.

6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)