Cisco password Recovery(Boson)

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by cobirad, May 27, 2010.

1. cobirad

cobirad Bit Poster

I discovered that when your are locked out of your router because maybe you forgot your password, there is a way to recover it, that is by changing the configuration register and turn on bit 6 which will tell the router to ignore the NVRAM contents. The configuration register value to turn on bit 6 is 0x2142. but before you inpliment this you need too employ the ctrl + Break as soon as the router is booting..
    I tried using the Ctrl+Break with the boson simulator and no success coz u cant see the router booting up.. now the question is why is it so for the boson netsim. ?. i guess maybe studying for the CCNA doesn't require the password recovery thing.Or am i the one making the mistake ? Can someone enlighten me ?

2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I guess it's because most simulators only simulate the things that are covered in the curriculum you're studying and aren't fully functional.

It's the same on the MS exam simulations. Just because you know you can achieve something by right clicking an icon - if MS says you should do it a different way right clicking won't work.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

The break sequence to get in to rommon mode is different depending on what terminal emulator you are using.
    For example Hyperterminal is ctl+break. Teraterm is Alt+B. I'm not sure if the Boson software simulates password recovery but i'd be suprised if it didn't, maybe send BosonMichael on here a p.m.

I'd definately cover password recovery for your exam though.

Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.
  4. cobirad

cobirad Bit Poster

I think i would wait for BosonMicheal, coz i realy need to know if thats part of What should be Covered for CCNA. AM actually writing the next CCNA

5. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

Without breaking the NDA I can assure you, you'll definately need to know the procedure for password recovery, not so much the exact commands but what happens at each stage.

Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Boson NetSim is a simulator, not an emulator... and there are no legal ways to emulate a Cisco router.

Simulators are good, but unfortunately, they don't do everything a router does. And unfortunately, NetSim cannot currently simulate password recovery.

I don't know for sure whether you need to know it for the CCNA. Whether it is or not, I'd recommend learning it, even if you have to learn it from a book or a Web site. It's an extremely useful skill, and I can guarantee it is something you will use far more often than you might want to. ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. albertc30

albertc30 Kilobyte Poster

Hello everybody.

I have done my CCNA almost a year ago now and back then password recover was part of the curriculum.

It may not be on your exam but then again it might.

I don't know if they have change the exam requirements but just like BosonMichael mentioned here, it is a skill that one could use more often than they might want to.

If you want to practice password recovery, why not purchase a second hand Cisco router on eBay. They come by really cheap and it may well pay off.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: 220-701 - A+
  8. cobirad

cobirad Bit Poster

I agree with this I already learnt it anyway i first used a Cisco packet tracer then i got a real router from old once in my company though they still working well. so i tried it out.Am positive i can handle the challenge when it come anytime,also happy to have that added skill to my advantage.. thanks guys i really appreciate ur contributions...