Cisco Network Academy - Opinions

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by ScoobyDoo, Sep 4, 2004.

1. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo Byte Poster

Hi,

I would like to start a new thread to gather opinions on what people think about the Networking Academy Program.

I recently completed all 4 semesters - but only passed my CCNA because I studied - & I mean studied - the Sybex/Lammle CCNA book (Delux Edn).

I felt the academy materials didn't have much focus (some chapter tests tested trivia) & some parts were poorly written. (I defy anyone to subnet in their head after reading the academy lesson.)

Due to time restrictions at college, we concentrated on the Simulator labs - although we did some practicals. Again, the number of these meant the course was not focussed on the exam objectives. Many of the sims were very repetitive & did not home in on the chapter being read.

I would think it would be very difficult for anyone to go straight from this to the CCNA exam without more directed study.

Your opinions please.

Certifications: <<See Below>>
  2. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Hi Scooby Doo

I almost have to disagree with you on this one. I thought the net academy was a great idea, and although some of the chapters and semesters did lack a little bit content wise, overall I was impressed, and managed to pass with the minimum of external study. I would recomend it to anyone.

Your point about there not being enuff practical in the course is more down to were you took it, than the Academy program itself. Were i took in MK, we spent about 50 percent of our time working on actual switches and routers, so that it would become second nature to us.

I have hardly used the simulation software. I found that it was far to easy to use, because if you put the command in wrong, it would tell you it was srong and what to put. Good for some people, but not for me. When working in the real world, and you put the wrong command in, the IOS tells you, but doesn't give you the answer, so you need to know how to work it out for yourself. The sim software was very restrictive.

We had an excellent teacher, who would always explain anything that we felt the course didn't explain well, such as subnetting.

So overall, I found the academy excellent, but for anyone thinking of signing up, check out the facility were you will be taking it. Ask questions, talk to student's, look at what they have for a lab ect.

Make sure that you are happy with the enviroment you will be working in before you sign anything. There is no point in learning if you don't enjoy what and where you are doing it. You may just get disallusioned with it all, and give up on what could be something very possitive.

Anyway, just my .02 p

Andy

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  3. ciscosam

ciscosam Bit Poster

I was told by my course instructor (who is a CCNP) that the network academy program is just a way for Cisco to make more money... which is why he just runs a weekend for practical experience. He reckons you can teach yourself the theory providing you use a good book... he is currently getting his notes published and that's what I've been using, and I'm a 17 year old with hardly any previous experience or knowledge... and I'm doing ok :D So far anyway! I think it depends how much money you want to spend and how much time you will put into self studying.

WIP: CCNA
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'd have to say that the Cisco NetAcad really helped me hone my skill set and the hands on time really helped me pass the exam...especially the simulation sections. Also, my instructor was first rate and added a "personality" to the material.

Having said all that, I *still* didn't feel ready to take the exam after the NetAcad so I borrowed the Wendell Odom book from another instructor and studied the heck out of it. A few months later, I took and passed the CCNA.

Unless you can get your hands on a cheap Cisco router and a couple of switches plus the text and lab manuals and you eat, sleep, and breath Cisco networking, you might be better off sticking with the NetAcad. Does Cisco make money off of it...heck yeah. They are a business after all. I don't mind paying for something as long as I get a quality product or service.

JMHO. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I always thought the net acadamy was a bit of a laugh, my old secondary school does it in 2 years, i mean, 2 years!!! its like, a 4 day course (the CCNA) i knwo the net acadamy incorporates part of the A+ and other courses, but 2 years, i spose in place of an A-Level its fine, but off your own back it seems like there are other ways of going about it

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. ciscosam

ciscosam Bit Poster

I agree. My school was thinking of teaching the CCNA as a 2 year course... but to be honest for kids with no previous experience then it is quite a lot to take in, and there's a lot to cram into one hour lessons. But I think a year would be long enough.

WIP: CCNA
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I did the four semesters in about four months. Quite a cram but very do-able.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

I was there for 6 month's, just doing one day a week. Altho I only ever did half day's, the pub on a friday afternoon was just too tempting.:D :beers2

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada