Cisco Lab

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by Jaffa, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Jaffa

Jaffa Bit Poster

Evening all,
    I'm currently in the middle of setting up my home network for major amounts of study for my MCSA. I've been offered the opportunity of getting a bit of cisco kit that could be used for gaining my ccna when I get round to it!!!!:eek: The kit in question is 2 Cisco Routers & 1 Switch (2x2503 + 1x2924-XL-EN.) Can anyone here tell me whether this stuff is any good. It would be part of my windows 2003 network. Its price TAG is around £300 notes, cheap when you compare it to how much a CCNA 1 week course costs.

Any feed back would be appreciated

Ta
    J

Certifications: CCNA MCP XP,SVR NT4 WKS, SRV ITIL, ACA
    WIP: MCSA 2003 Security
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Mate, GET IT

one of those switches alone costs over that
    and the routers are 1500 - 2500 quid each

go for it
    yes it will help immensly with studying, make sure they work (i trust your buying from a friend or something?)

if your buying from a stranger, be a bit more picky, check everything works, check IOS versions and such

i missed an oppertunity to get some decent cisco kit, and its really hampered my CCIE studying so far, when you move onto the CCNA let me know and id be happy to assist you with the kit being u live in london (if you need assistance that is)

Good luck with the purchase if it all checks out :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. Jaffa

Jaffa Bit Poster

Damm it,

I missed out on the deal by an hour!!!!!:x Will have to keep my eyes open for more of the same. Thanks for your advice pheonix....Is that the kind of stuff I should be looking out for??? I really want to get up to speed with cisco gear and might try and source seperates on ebay..

Cheers J:biggrin

4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

yup, 2 routers and a switch is a pretty standard CCNA lab

you can do most of the requirements with it

Frame Relay
    VLANS
    Access Lists
    EtherChannel

Etc...

5. Jaffa

Jaffa Bit Poster

Hey Pheonix,

I found this guy on ebay,

<http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=73321&item=5715242325&rd=1&ssPageName=WD2V>

Looks like he sells ready made Cisco lab kits. All looks pretty impressive. Do you have any thoughts on it??

My one concern would be buying it from some guys in America (such a long distance!!) but on the plus side it all looks like a good setup at what could be a reasonable price!!

I'd be interested in what you or anybody else thinks of this deal

Cheers
    J

6. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Looks pretty good to me. :)

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

does look good, but the shipping will add a bit, check out ebay.co.uk, it used to also have plenty of ready made lab setups for sale :)

8. Jaffa

Jaffa Bit Poster

guys,

seen these of ebay

1 Cisco 2503 16MB DRAM/16MB Flash
    1 Cisco 2503 8MB DRAM/8MB Flash
    1 Cisco Switch 1912A

Any ideas whether these would be good for my ccna network lab??
    Sorry to keep asking so many questions but Im not to sure what to look for.

Ta
    J

9. Jaffa

Jaffa Bit Poster

Come on all you CCNAs & cisco gods, any thoughts on the above gear to use to study for my cisco certs??

Pleasssssssssssssssssssssseeeeeeeeee:eek:

Jaffa

10. xstormos

xstormos Bit Poster

sounds good to me, router memory is upgradeable too... dimms can be found on ebay :)

Certifications: BTEC ND Computing
    WIP: CCNA/DA
  11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I concur, Jaffa. Do it. The equipment is at the end of it's operational lifetime in production networks but as far as I know, is still standard for CCNA labs.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  12. xstormos

xstormos Bit Poster

I'm Happy! now the proud owner of a WS-C1924F-EN Cisco Switch. not bad for £110 notes. RRP £1500.

Certifications: BTEC ND Computing
    WIP: CCNA/DA
  13. shep

shep Bit Poster

just caught on to this thread and would like to know if anyone has recommendations for those bargains - the end of life models that are still perfect for ccna practise labs but which should be nice and cheap on ebay. anyone got a list of suitable models?

Certifications: A+, Network+, Server+, ITIL Foundation v3, HP Server Accredited
  14. ciscokits

ciscokits New Member

Hi,
    I am new to the site...found it just browsing around and noticed my company name mentioned. I am Bob who owns ******* and I have worked with a few of the members on the site. If you are looking for just a pros and cons of different routers and switches, if you visit my website ******* and click on the links tab, I have a article I wrote that gives many of the pros and cons of the different models.

Best Regards,
    bob

Admin edit (J): Advertising removed.

15. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Bob,

Unfortunately you seem to have missed the part of our Rules & Guidelines with regards to companies advertising their products.

In essence, if you wish to represent your company, you are more than welcome to do so by including a link to your main site in your profile, and making it clear that you are a representative of your company. Otherwise, your post would need to be edited or removed. We at CertForums feel strongly about this, as we do not tolerate spammers or "freeloaders" in any way.

If you would care to accomodate this request, you will be made a more than welcome Member of our community here :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity