Cisco IT Essentials

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by Sco0t, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Sco0t

Sco0t Byte Poster

Done this course in college last year, was IT Essentials which at first I thought was like A+ but found it that it was Cisco, has anyone heard of Cisco IT Essentials? Worth anything, anyone got anymore info on it? I've attached a picture of the certificate I got, just want some light shed on it :) Oh and the quality of the pic is pretty ****, was done on my phone hah. [​IMG]

Certifications: Bsc Net/Sys Support, HND Tech Support
    WIP: Network+
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Cisco have heard of it :p

See here

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I've heard of it, and completed it, although it was many moons ago.

IT Essentials 1 is like the A+ and IT Essentials 2 is like the Server+.

They're not really worth anything in the larger scheme of things, but are something to put on the old C.V.

4. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Yep done it a long time ago and found it followed the A+ syllabus pretty closely so was good for passing the A+ exam. Think Simon has got it mixed up as IT Essentials 2 is based on Network+ and not Server+

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

you might be right, it's been a while! :biggrin

6. michael78

We forgive you :biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  7. Sco0t

Sco0t Byte Poster

Cheers, clears it up a bit. Thats what made me think should I do the A+, I know the stuff already, I know it couldnt do any harm but I would be going over the same stuff and was going to just do the Network+ instead as I'm fairly into networking the now and pretty proficient with it. What do you's think?

Certifications: Bsc Net/Sys Support, HND Tech Support
    WIP: Network+
  8. michael78

Well it won't do any harm but just don't expect it to do wonders for your career.

9. mentman

mentman Bit Poster

I done this course at my local college, its basicly the a+ exam topics.

As a industry cert i have found no use for it. Best to do the course and take a+, as ppl recognizes the A+ credentials.

Certifications: CCNA, CCENT, ITE, 642-812 BCMSN
    WIP: 642-901 BCSI
  10. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

slypie,

I believe Simon's correct.

Source: IT Essentials II: Network Operating Systems Companion Guide (Cisco Networking Academy Program) @ ciscopress.com - http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=1587130971

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA