CISCO For Beginner

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by DJ Prem, Dec 17, 2006.

1. DJ Prem

DJ Prem Bit Poster

I want to learn CISCO, I've got no CISCO hardware can you recommend where to start, what simulators to use unless there is any hardware that is usable for less then £200 which I doubt.

2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

DJ,

Are you familiar with networking in general? If not, I would suggest getting a good Network + book, and working your way through it.

If you are, I heard this one from Cisco press will get you off on the right start.

Merry Christmas

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Try your local college, many schools/colleges are becoming Cisco/Microsoft training academic's and they offer CISCO/Microsoft courses for a very reasonable rate (unlike alot of private training companies). Or there are software simulations out there which you can buy that simulates Cisco hardware, again cheaper that the real thing, there are a few on Ebay (second hand) or you can go directly and buy new. Sybex, Examcram & other's do very good books that will assist in your studies. Cisco offer web-based elearning, as well as Learnkey.

See here for further info.

Hope this helps

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

DJ Prem,

I would suggest going to the following link and:

1. In the center column, with the words "Training Resources Academy Connection", scroll down until you see the section "Getting Started" and click on the _Become a Student_ link.
    2. In the center column, off to the top right corner, there's a box titled "Resources." Click on the _Academy Locator_ link.
    3. On the "Academy and Class Locator Basic Search" webpage, fill in the relevant fields in the "Basic Information" and "Class Information" sections. In the "Class Information" section, in the "For Students" subsection, select "CCNA 1: Networking Basics." Then click the [Locate Class] button.

I hope this helps.

Link:

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  5. DJ Prem

DJ Prem Bit Poster

Thanks, think I'll stick to the simulator for the start which sim to you recommend?

6. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

you can study the cisco academy with the open university and get access via the web to real routers while you study the course. As a bonus, it's 30 points towards a qualificatio with them also...

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Whilst there is absolutely no substitute for the real thing - especially when you get out into the field with your freshly printed CCNA in your paw and someone on the phone in your office tells you to install a WIC card in a 2600-series router and you get to site and find out that... umm... you don't know what a 2600 series router actually LOOKS like...

The two sims that seem to get the best reviews are RouterSim and http://www.routersim.com/CCNAAdStarterKit_Home.html.
    Boson is more expensive, but apparently better - whereas RouterSim seems to be the 'cheap and cheerful' option.

Of course, if you're going to be spending some money, why not just get some old 2500s off eBay?

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  8. DJ Prem

DJ Prem Bit Poster

the 2500s can I upgrade the IOS with present and future updates?

9. NetEyeBall

NetEyeBall Kilobyte Poster

Buy 3 2500s or 2600s and a 2950 switch. Buy Subnet Tutor software. Buy a cable crimper, RJ45 jacks, Cat5 cable. Buy 3 WIC1T cards if you bought the 2600s. Buy 3 back to back serial cables. Buy transcenders CCNA exam test simulator.

And you will be good to go for the CCNA with lots of study.

I wouldn't buy the simulators. I did, but I ended up buying the hardware anyways.

Certifications: CCNA, A+, N+, MCSE 4.0, CCA
    WIP: CCDA, CCNP, Cisco Firewall
  10. AndyPenman

AndyPenman New Member

Currently studying the OU course at the moment, pretty crammed and moves at a fair pace. Although the online labs are good for getting you up to speed.

WIP: MCDST