'CISCO Complete Router / Switch Lab for CCNA CCNP CCIE'

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by brouhaha, Sep 1, 2006.

1. brouhaha

brouhaha Bit Poster

I'm halfway through my CCNA and I've asked in the networking forum if the gear is a good price at £295 but what I'm asking here is if the gear is up to scratch for the curriculum?

The item has long since ended on ebay but I've seen the seller advertise it numerous times so I think he will put one together for me if I decide to purchase.

Also if anyone knows places within the UK that I should shop around for a CCNA lab please be so good as to enlighten me.

WIP: CCNA, FETAC Level 6 CSNXX
  2. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

I would have to say that looks like a great lab setup for CCNA.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

This is off topic but i never used ebay before so question is;

Postage, payment details and return policy

Postage Cost Each Additional Item
    £20.00 + £15.00

am i correct in saying that the total price would be;

£295 (selling price) +
    £30 (Postage) +
    £15 x 5? (Additional cost x 5 items included in package)

:rolleyes: :oops:

4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I got my lab from ebay £190 inc p&p

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. brouhaha

brouhaha Bit Poster

Yes it definitely is but I've been looking at ciscokits.com's ebay shop where they sell decomissioned machines at much knocked down prices. I could buy two Catalyst 1924 Enterprise 9.00.7 Switches and two 2503 Routers w/12.3.19 for a total of £294 which does not include shipping but is 100 euros less than the package I posted earlier and surely postage can't amount to that and even if it does they are all newer models and include a guarantee which the other does not. Have a look at their ebay shop here.
    Yeah but that only includes two 2503 routers and one 1912 switch, right? Have you got a link for your sellers ebay shop and I'll have a look?

6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

do a search for irp70 on ebay, he doesn't have an ebay shop, but he's very good.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  7. brouhaha

brouhaha Bit Poster

Yeah he's the one selling the lab sharing it's ebay item name with the title of this thread :) He doesn't seem to have much competition in The UK tbh.

8. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

brouhaha,

This may seem totally unrelated, yet it is related to CCNA studies. According to the "640-801 CCNA-Career Certifications & Paths" webpage on the Cisco website, it states:

Planning & Designing
    • Design a simple LAN using Cisco Technology
    • Design an IP addressing scheme to meet design requirements
    • Select an appropriate routing protocol based on user requirements
    • Design a simple internetwork using Cisco technology
    • Develop an access list to meet user specifications
    • Choose WAN services to meet customer requirements

So if you're supposedly "halfway through my CCNA" and since "Planning & Designing" is a requirement for the CCNA, you have to ask yourself if that equipment will help you: 1. Design a simple LAN using Cisco Technology 2. Design an IP addressing scheme to meet design requirements 3. Design a simple internetwork using Cisco technology and 4. Choose WAN services to meet customer requirements. In other words, imagine that you're the client for this network. If a CCNA came up to you and said "you need this whole kit to solve your networking problem(s)," would you believe the CCNA? Would you think the price you're going to pay for the equipment is a fair price for the solution?

Link:

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  9. brouhaha

brouhaha Bit Poster

Yes it would suffice but from further browsing on ebay it seems he's over-charging. Thanks for the input.

10. surfer_rosa

surfer_rosa Nibble Poster

I actually bought the exactly same kit as you've listed here from the same guy.

Unfortunately i can't really say if its worthwhile or not as i'm still doing ccna intro. But for that, it was good for getting a hang of the cli (i've got linux expierience so that wasn't too hard) and doing some basic configuration.

It does come with everything you need for connecting the devices, especially one of the cables which has a dce connector at one end and a dte connector at the other, so you can simulate a real seriel network without buying a DSU/CSU

Wish i could be of more help...

Certifications: None.... yet
    WIP: CCNA