Cisco Academy

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by Jaytee2305, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Jaytee2305

Jaytee2305 Bit Poster

Is anyone doing CISCO academy in the UK. If so how long does a CCNA take?

Certifications: MCSE, Network+, Server+, HP APS
  2. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Jaytee2305,

Speaking as a graduate of CCNA Semester 4 in the Cisco Networking Academy over here in the US, it took me an entire year to complete all four semesters of the CCNA curriculum.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  3. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

In the UK most Further Education Colleges will do a Semester each term.
    ie: Semester 1 Sep to Dec, Semester 2 Jan to Apr, Semester 3 Apr to Jul & Semester 4 Sep to Dec.
    But some colleges do Semester 4 from Jul to Dec.

Private training companies offer it over anything from 6 weeks to 1 year!

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  4. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

MrNerdy,

The Cisco Networking Academy is usually associated with traditional academic institutions and not private training companies.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You don't have to do the Cisco Academy to take the CCNA. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. DevilsAdvocate

DevilsAdvocate Bit Poster

I'm doing the CCNA Academy at Dudley College. I started January and it will end in December I believe. We have just finished CCNA 1 last week and are moving onto CCNA 2 Tuesday. I believe the aim is to be finished with CCNA 2 in time to take the CCENT exam (if you wish) over the summer holidays. Then back in September to do CCNA 3 and CCNA 4.

Rob.

Certifications: CCENT
    WIP: CCNA, MCSE, Server+
  7. Allybaba

Allybaba New Member

I took the OU route. It's pretty intense with three TMA's and day schools. Would higly recommend it as a course route. It does cost, though; £545 at the time but it does really push you and the support is great. You don't get the final CCNA exam though; that has to be taken seperately. Have started cramming for it and to be honest, doing lots of actual scenarios through Packet Tracer and soon on the network that I administer. Anyone else taken the OU route and how did you find it?

WIP: Cisco CCNA
  8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Can you post in the normal font and colour please, that hurts my eyes.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  9. Allybaba

Allybaba New Member

... I already love this place! :)

WIP: Cisco CCNA
  10. CheeseOnToast

CheeseOnToast Nibble Poster

Hi mate,

In my academy (I assume most UK college/academies) runs alongside a normal academic year.

I.e. 4 semesters for me run from September to around July (whenever they break up for summer hols)

I cannot say enough how great the Academy has been for me.

I had an Op back in late November and had about 6 weeks off, dropped revision completely (stupid mistake), but knowing I had to get my arse back into college and do the end of semester exam really pushed me to get back on track.

I don't know if anyone from South Wales reads this, but the tutor at Bridgend college is absolutely awesome. The Swansea academy tutor however I found a little less inspiring.

Good luck, whichever route you choose :)

Certifications: ITIL Foundation
    WIP: CCNA
  11. Jaytee2305

Jaytee2305 Bit Poster

I know, its just my boss has offered to pay for me to do the Cisco Academy and I wanted an idea of what it was like.

Certifications: MCSE, Network+, Server+, HP APS
  12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'd rather my boss pay me half of the Cisco Academy fees, save the other half for the company, and I'd self-study on my own. Bonus! And everyone wins! :thumbleft

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

No mate honestly stop posting in that colour.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  14. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

Agreed... I'm currently enrolled in the Academy. I'm on class 2. It is divided into 4 8-week courses, so you can theoretically get 2 classes done in a semester. The problem is that they only offer it in the Fall and Winter. You can't take the classes in the Spring/Summer semester. What this means for my is that I'll have 2 classes (and ICND1) done at the end of next month, and won't be able to take the next 2 until August/September.

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822
  15. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

I have been a trainer for the Dutch army as CISCO instructor. We had a very intense course there for the field communication groups. We delivered the CCNA training as a Cisco Academy in four sessions of 2 weeks each, 45 hours per week. These guys were ready for the exam in about two months. We got a message from Cisco that for an academy is was normal to have a span of 9 months at least between the first chapter test and the last final exam.

HTH

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  16. BOB_R

BOB_R New Member

What do you lot think of this, i was thinking of using it to help with my own CCNA studying ?

http://www.kingston-college.ac.uk/study/1089109252.html

its a while to wait but i was thinking of at least getting my CCENT by then and then using it to get my hands on the kit.

Rob

Certifications: A+
    WIP: CCNA
  17. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

Kingston have a good reputation for running these types of courses.
    The college is a bit of a wild zoo during the day, but is quieter in the evenings.
    Parking can be a bit of a nightmare as some car parks close at 9pm!
    Ask the college for parking advice.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+