Cisco 3550

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by newman555, Oct 25, 2009.

1. newman555

newman555 Bit Poster

Hi!

I bought a Cisco 3550 switch as a "crown jewel" to my little home lab. And so I opened the box, looked at the front panel and saw something that I've never seen before.

It's says Agilent HFBR 5903 on the label for each port. From what I found on the Internet, this is a fiber optic transceiver, but I don't understand how to use this . I expected regular Ethernet ports and I got something that I don't know what it is. Can someone tell me what kind of port this is and how to use this as regular Ethernet port? Thank you.

And I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but I really could use some help because I wouldn't post here if I could find the answer elsewhere.

2. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

newman555,

Maybe a change of perspective might help. Instead of thinking "regular port that's ethernet" you need to understand that Ethernet is a technology with many types. Ethernet over copper cabling is one type of ethernet. Another kind is Ethernet over fiber optics. Ethernet over copper cabling uses electricity for it's signals. Ethernet over fiber optic uses light for it's signals. That's why you're probably going to have a lot of difficulty trying to "make" the fiber optic Ethernet ports work with a "regular Ethernet [copper cable]."

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  3. newman555

newman555 Bit Poster

of course, I understand concepts of Ethernet. I used the wrong expression. But, isn't there a way to convert optical signal to electric in my case? Like a gbic or something? You know, go from MTRJ to RJ45? Is there such a thing and what's the cheapest way to do it?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  4. Spice_Weasel

Spice_Weasel Kilobyte Poster

I would sell or trade your switch - optical to copper is expensive. Much cheaper to just buy a regular 3550 off ebay.

Spice_Weasel

Certifications: CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, JNCIA-ER, JNCIS-ER,MCP
    WIP: CCIE
  5. newman555

newman555 Bit Poster

I know it's been awhile since I opened this topic and that solution for my problem is expensive...but....

Could this work, I mean really work? MTRJ to LC cable and then, LC to RJ45 using a media converter? The thing is, maybe I can get my hands on the cable and I found some cheaper converters on ebay. Please help, cause, I can't sell this switch and I would still like to use it...Thank you!!!

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Um... why can't you sell that switch? You already mentioned buying stuff off eBay... they DO have a "sell" feature as well! :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. newman555

newman555 Bit Poster

Why? Because shipping items from my country is incredible expensive :) Trust me, I've checked!

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

...shipping that your buyer can pay for. ;)

Just sayin'. You don't HAVE to sell it... just letting you know that the option exists. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. newman555

newman555 Bit Poster

I would really like to sell it. Half price of what I payed for...but I don't think that any buyer is gonna give 300$ for shipping :biggrin

What's with this switch anyway? Where is it actually used? Nobody really uses any media converters with this one, just fiber optic connection?

10. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Looking at your previous posts you might like to introduce yourself in the new members section. If you give us some info on where you're based, background in IT, current certs and studies it would help us pitch our answers top your questions appropriately.

As far as the kit goes - it's modular. If you search on Ebay for "Cisco switch module" you'll get the idea.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)