Cisco 1841 - Update ?

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by mke, Feb 3, 2008.

1. mke

mke Bit Poster

Hi there,

wanted to ask how I can update a Cisco 1841 router that has (C1841-BROADBAND-M), Version 12.3(11)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2) IOS to a newer one and prefferably to the Advanced IP Services IOS 12.4. As I need to practice and eventually master the advanced features, like ssh/snmp v3,https, 3des,...

Is that possible? I haven't got a license from Cisco since am buying used from ebay. I read somewhere in this forum that you can use a SMARTnet subscription to do that?
    Is that possible? if I buy e.g. a SMARTnet category 1 subscription for 1 year (about 52£) to update my IOS to whatever I want? or do I need to purchase also the IOS image?

This is the sh screen on the router:

Router>show version
    Cisco IOS Software, 1841 Software (C1841-BROADBAND-M), Version 12.3(11)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
    Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
    Copyright (c) 1986-2004 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Sat 18-Sep-04 11:10 by eaarmas

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.3(8r)T8, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Router uptime is 0 minutes
    System returned to ROM by power-on
    System image file is "flash:c1841-broadband-mz.123-11.T.bin"

Cisco 1841 (revision 4.1) with 116736K/14336K bytes of memory.
    Processor board ID FHK084512CU
    2 FastEthernet interfaces
    1 ATM interface
    DRAM configuration is 64 bits wide with parity disabled.
    191K bytes of NVRAM.
    31360K bytes of ATA CompactFlash (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x2102

thanks

Certifications: ?
    WIP: CCSP
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The SMARTnet contract will enable you to download any IOS for the router. The only thing you will be limited by is the amount of Flash you've got in the router. As long as the image fits, you'll be fine.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. mke

mke Bit Poster

hi there,

thanks for the reply. i have one more question though in regards the SMARTnet subscription. What is the difference with the differrent categorys for the subscription? i mean the cheapest is like 1 year category 1 (52£), other go up to 100/400£ for other categories.

Would they make any difference for the 1841 IOS update?

thanks

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Usually, the cost difference is based on the level of support you want. The cheapest, if I remember correctly, is for 8x5 next business day support (during normal business hours); the most expensive is for 24x7 support with a four hour response time. Obviously, you wouldn't need immediate service - or really, service at all (though you will have paid for it - use it if you need to!)... you just want the software. If I'm accurate about the differences in "levels", then you should be fine with the cheapest version. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. mke

mke Bit Poster

Hi BosonMichael and thanks for your reply.

It definely solved quite a few questions in my head. I am waiting now for my 1841 to arrive and then order that subscription and update like a crazy extatic kid :) however there is one more thing.
    Are there any subscriptions that allow me to update 2-3 router and 2-3 switches? Do i need like 5-6 subscriptions or will that one do for 1 year? basically i want to update my small lab, legally that is as I am not very fond of pirated images. For once in my life i want to do the legit thing and brag about it :)
    Anyway,

thanks