Chuggers

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Cockles, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Hi all

Just curious, does anyone here get bothered by the ol' charity muggers (chuggers) on a regular basis, those cheery, bright jacket wearing clipboard carrying gits who desperately try to get you to hand over your bank details?

I work in central London and popping out for a sandwich is like running the gauntlet every day just to try and avoid these fools.

What do people think? Any funny stories in dealing with them? Or does anyone support them?

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

It sounds bad, but I strategically cross over to the other side of the street. I do however speak to them if I feel like it. If it was for an animal charity I would be more likely to hang around and chat.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Yep, just about every single day!!!

My daughter works in a shop on the main shopping area and as its only a 10 minute walk from my office, so I go in an say hello most days - and the chuggers are always there. The varies charities seem to take it in turns to harass the shoppers. I've learnt never to even look in their direction or a simple "sorry, too busy" seems to be the golden ticket for getting passed em :p

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I do find them quite, quite annoying.

If I want to give to a charity, I already do. Street peddlers will unfortunately not change my mind.

That being said, I'm not rude to them - they are only 'doing good' as they see it.

Although I did start responding to them in a foreign language once so that they didn't pursue me up the street...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

My thoughts mirror hers.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Precisely, I like to think that as and when I do donate something to charity, it's actually a decision I have made myself on many factors rather than being bullied into it.

The only response I have ever given (ok, barring once when I told them i don't speak English, in English) is that there is no way on God's good earth I will ever hand over my bank details to someone I have just met on the street. They have no comeback to that at all.

I've had them jump out right in front of me when I've had my iPod on and my head down. Nearly accidentally thumped one once as I thought I was going to be mugged!

7. thecatsmother

thecatsmother Byte Poster

And getting paid a commission to do so.

My main objection to the organisations using this method of charity collection is that they get round the "flag day" laws because they don't collect actual money, but take your credit card/direct debit details, so they can saturate the charity market and have very high visibility, whereas smaller charities who can't afford to employ people to do this or to process direct debits have to rely on volunteers to collect cash on pre-defined limited days per year. Smaller charities, who arguably need the local support more, are getting sqeezed out as a result.

WIP: CIW Website Design Manager
  8. ianconscious

ianconscious Bit Poster

Haha, brilliant!

There are dozens of these do-gooders in Bedford town centre every day of the week, I've become so accustomed to them that they barely register now. Like pigeons.

Certifications: MCSE; MCITP; CCA, etc.
    WIP: JNCIS-FWV
  9. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Pigeons, a fantastic comparison!!!!!

10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

We seem to have more and more in Carlisle these days. They all seem to be students though :blink which makes me very wary. It's ether help support our student newspaper or save the spaghetti monster :D as said if I give to charity then I do it through the bank.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?