Choice of routing protocol>

Discussion in 'General CompTIA Certifications' started by cobirad, May 21, 2010.

1. cobirad

cobirad Bit Poster

hay pals, can someone enlighten me on the best option for routing protocol, How exactly do i know the routing protocol to use in my network. (preparing for my CCNA).

2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

For the CCNA you will need to know and understand the following routing protocols:

- RIP, which is a 'hop count' protocol
    - OSPF, which is a link state protocol (probably most common protocol)
    - EIGRP, which is a Cisco properiatary protocol but has all the features of OSPF but the easiness to configure as RIP.

Oh and don't forget about static routes.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. cobirad

cobirad Bit Poster

Thank you for you feedback, i also studied something about IGRP and its configuration and troubleshooting u seem not to have mentioned that, is it needed as well ? or i should just skip that past ?

4. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

What are you using to study? if its a CCNA study guide then as long as it's current you can be sure you need to know anything that's in it.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  5. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

IGRP is no longer one of the exam objectives mate. Safe to skip it. If you ever come across it then by all means do a bit of research, for now you have enough to keep you busy.

Routing protocols to cover:
    RIP
    RIP V2
    EIGRP
    OSPF

Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.
  6. cobirad

cobirad Bit Poster

I dont know if its the current one i have, but if u can help me locate the current one i'll be great full.

Thanks to everyone ur advise has really helped me, a lot.

7. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5