ChkDsk not working?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Baba O'Riley, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Hi All,

A small but niggling problem I would like some advice for.

When trying to run a Check Disk on my XP system disk, I choose the option to run it at next boot (which has worked fine in the past) but now it's just booting normally and not running the scan :blink. I can't find anything on the web about it except possibly adding a chkdsk command to the end of the Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\BootExecute but that didn't work either.

I tried it in Safe Mode, and with all AV/anti-spyware disabled but no luck.

By the way, it works fine on non-system partitions so I don't think it's a problem with the program itself.

Any ideas peeps?

Cheers.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  2. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

when choosing to run on next boot,are you then restarting the pc? or are we talking from a cold boot?

I have had the problem in the past, if i select run on next boot>then reboot it wont work.Will only seem to work from a cold boot for some reason :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  3. Baba O'Riley

Off to give it a try now.

4. Baba O'Riley

Nope, nothing. :x

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

You can run chkdsk from the recovery console. If you haven't loaded the recovery console, you would need to boot from the install CD and select R for the recovery console. Log-in to the correct install of windows using the local admin password and type chkdsk at the command prompt.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Baba O'Riley

Yeah, I tried that but it won't recognise my drives, I assume because they're SATA, and I didn't really have time to look how to load the drivers. I will now though as I have a bit of time to spare between "studying" (gaming) sessions.

7. Baba O'Riley

OK. No luck with Recovery Console from the CD. It's just not recognising my drives. I tried to install it and I got the message that "the version of Windows I am using is newer than the one I am trying to install" so I can't do that either :( .

8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Code:
    sfc /scanonce
    ...and reboot. Might help ?

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. Baba O'Riley

(Loud clearing of the throat), well, I wouldn't recommend anyone doing what Jak just suggested without a full backup of their system as I've only just finished restoring mine as a result of running that command. I think it replaced all my chipset drivers so the PC would only boot to a BSoD. Safe mode worked OK but not disabling everything in MSConfig. Neither did a Windows repair :( .

Don't worry though Jak, Id only just made a full backup and I used the downtime to make a few configuration changes to my hard drives which I'd been putting off so it's not all bad :) .

10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yikes that's unusual. Could you not re-load your chipset drivers in safe mode :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. Baba O'Riley

TBH, I didn't bother trying for the reasons I mentioned. I'm not 100% sure it was the chipset drivers but that's what I suspect.

12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Crikey, Baba - I almost felt bad for a second there :blink

As Pete said, I have never heard of sfc doing that to a system (and would not have suggested it without first mentioning it if it were the case)

Bet you were cursing the f*** out of me though ........:biggrin

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  13. Baba O'Riley

Like a docker :wink: .

Seriously though, no hard feelings. I appreciate you trying to help :thumbleft .

Exactly what I was thinking while I was cursing you.