Cheap broadband in UK

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Tieken, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Tieken

Tieken Bit Poster

Hi to all!

i'd like to subscribe to a broadband home internet connection so i'm studying offers by UK providers. The question is whether the price of unlimited connection (< 8mbs speed) is normally about 20 quid a month in total (including BT line for instance). Does it make sense to waste time searching for cheaper options?

sorry, if this topic was already discussed.

2. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

I pay 57GBP per month for a 2mb DSL line, so anything you've found so far is a bargain in comparison!

In seriousness though, have a look at ADSL Guide*, they have heaps of info on stuff like that.

*didn't know they'd changed their name.

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  3. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

If you watch channel 5 then you'd know the Gadget show is doing a campaign on ISPs and the service they provide. If not, check here http://fwd.five.tv/gadget-show/videos/campaigns

No apprently they rated SKY as being very good for thier BB package and even got them to state it was definatley unlimited and unrestricted.

(I only watch it for one reason...Suze Perry, hmmmmmmmm)

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

*mumble* *dribble* wkjekhjfbsfbkladlakfakfmabsfjakfasjf;lqwjeqwhwqed.wq.......wakdjkl;afv...... *dribble*

:wub:bounce:smile-l:bounce:smile-l:bounce:wub

6. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

I use beunlimited, been with them for about 6 months now and cant fault them. They do upto 24meg for £18 per month

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  7. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Wonder if Suzy Perry would let me do unlimited things to her:twisted:

On a serious mnot she is soooooooooooo tasty

As for BB try talk talk, my mate pays 20 a month with phoneline included, no need for BT

I get mine for 15 per month as thew bloke who lived here mobved out but let me keep the line open etc

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  8. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

*mumble* *dribble* wkjekhjfbsfbkladlakfakfmabsfjakfasjf;lqwjeqwhwqed.wq.......wakdjkl;afv...... *dribble*

:wub:bounce:smile-l:bounce:smile-l:bounce:wub

[​IMG]

9. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

i previously had 8mb with demon as they were a good price and unlimited usage. i was paying £20 a month for the internet, £5 for static i.p and about £10 BT line rental

i have moved over to o2 now and as i'm a mobile phone customer i get 8mb for £7.50 a month, no static i.p (curently dont need it) and £10ish line rental

GRim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

Look at the links suggested, but I would say you don't need to spend that anymore. I had faultless service from Plusnet for years, although moved to sky - for £5 extra a month it would be silly not to. Provided by Easynet, although in all honesty, my experience with home interenet is it really boils down to the exchange you are connected to.

Simon

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  11. Tieken

Tieken Bit Poster

Thanks to everybody for answers and advices :)

12. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I ditched my BT phone line some time ago, trouble is now BT won't reconnect for less than £100. So it looks like ADSL is out ? Anyone got any advice for someone in this situation ?

13. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Who supplies your landline now? I assume that either you don't have one at all, or you have cable.

If it *is* cable then Virgin Media is virtually your only route if you want to avoid a BT reconnect charge.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  14. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I'm on Virgin's 20MB service for *something not too expensive a month*. I think it may work out to about £18 - we got it in a package with our TV and phone line.

Whilst getting the phone plumbed in seems to be a bit of a headache, the broadband has been excellent.

We've been informed that the lines in our area are going to be upgraded soon to 50MB and we will be moved on to that speed / tariff at no extra charge, too. Yummy :)

Speed can vary throughout the day, but the overall performance is admirable, especially for the price.

www.speedtest.net - I have seen get up to 19500kb/s in the early evening, which is fantastic. Upstream never seems to surpass around 750kb/s.

Here's one I've just taken - [​IMG]

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA