Chat Room

Discussion in 'Web Development & Web Hosting' started by r4merlin, Sep 6, 2004.

1. r4merlin

r4merlin Nibble Poster

I was wondering what package this forum uses for its chat.

2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi r4merlin

We use a purchased version of Sigma Chat http://www.sigmachat.com with a few extra tweaks to integrate it into the forums.

They do have a free version that we did use here before buying an upgrade license and as you can imagine the free version is very limited.

If you need any more info just ask, Si. :biggrin

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. r4merlin

r4merlin Nibble Poster

Thanks for the info, at the moment I am looking for mainly free options as I am not currently making any money from the site and all work is being done on a free basis. (Something that may change over time)

I would like to know though for future reference how this software works. My host is very reluctant to let us run chat software on there servers. We are allowed to run java-applets that purely connect. Does this software work in that way or does it directly impact on the server that is being used.

4. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

The chatroom is hosted on sigmachats servers you dont need to host anything on your server, they will provide you with the address of your chatroom you can then intergrate that into your site by using an iframe. If you want to know more about how to do this let me know.

All that is needed is that the enduser has installed Java Support!

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...