Chapter 1 A+

Discussion in 'A+' started by Kopite_21, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Hi guys,

Have just finished Chapter 1 in the CompTia A+ Complete Study Guide after about 2months reading it on and off (due to work). I found it quite interesting reading about Identifying Purposes and Characteristics of Memory but am still non of the wiser I cannot seem to remember all the different types of memory such as DRAM SDRAM DDR2 SDRAM etc... How many bytes per transfer! Remembering all the pins on each module!

Everything else in Chapter 1 I seem to understand and remember, but just seems to be this bit. Does anyone have any tips of remembering all the different types of memory, transfer rates, pins? I will be going over and over that chapter again but gradually going from one chaapter after the other.

After doing the review questions it took me about 25mins to answer them and mark them. I got a score of 13 out of the 20 questions answered. Think that was a ok score for the first attempt.

Regards

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

dont get too bogged down with remembering how may pins there are etc just try and remember the main things like pc2-6400 is 800Mhz or pc2 8500 is 1066Mhz and pc2 is generally 184 pin.

dont go mad with remembering everything it'll all come to you in the end. Also dont go over and over the same chapter I would advise read the book like a novel and do the chapter review questions then go over it again with stuff you dont get and take notes

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. keane14

keane14 Bit Poster

I found it helped to do a cram sheet, i just wrote down bits and pieces that i thought i may need to know and took them everywhere with me.

If i had five minutes at work i just had a quick look or read through, if your are waiting in the doctors/dentist, waiting for the other half in the car park etc. I found it a good way to commit facts and figures to memory.

Hope this helps!!

Certifications: Comptia A+ 2009 Edition
    WIP: Network +
  4. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

Write some of the things down like keane mentioned. I had bits of paper on windowsills, next to my bed, in break room at work.........found one in the bathroom once :| IP class ranges haha

Just a sheet saying Dimm, SoDimm, DDR etc with amount of pins, characteristics etc. and every now and then just look over it and get familiar.

Probably guarantee you get a question in a practice exam and just write down the amount of pins without thinking :)

Certifications: A+, MOS: Master 2010, Network +
  5. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Hi guys,

Have just finished Chapters's 2 Storage Devices, Power Supplies, and Adapters & Chapter 3 Understanding Display Devices.

As was going through these chapters found that they were really clicking into place seemed to remember much of the chapters and as was doing the review Q/A's I seemed to get at least 17 correct answers out of 20. I have started though to take notes and going through them when I need to go back and review them. Also have started to place sticky notes everywhere especailly in the bathroom & bedroom.

Now for Chapter 4 Understanding Laptops and Portable Devices.

Cheers for the great info guys.

Regards :D

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+