Changing the Administrator Password

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by simongrahamuk, Oct 30, 2008.

1. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

We changed 'the' domain Administrator accounts password the other week and successfully logged into the DC's with the new password, however when you try to log into any member servers or clients you cannot log on with the new password.

I changed the password again on monday (so that I could see the problem for myself) and it was all working correctly, you could log in everywhere using the administrator account, including through Remote desktop sessions. This worked until around about 2pm yesterday when we tried to log into a member server and it would not accept the password. The DC's take it no problem, but not the member servers or clients.

Unable to figure out what was causing the issue I copied another admin's account, made sure that it had all of the same group memberships as 'the' administrator account. set its password and tested it. I could log in everywhere without any problems.

I then changed the password on my new admin account and tested it, again I could log in to DC's, Member servers, clients, etc.

This morning when the new admin account has been tried out the password again will not work on the member servers or clients. Fine on the DC's, but not anywhere else?

Anyone got any ideas?

2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

What is the exact error message when trying to login to a Server or Client?

Have you checked the Security Event Logs to see what information they give?

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

The error that is given is the standard 'The system could not log you on....please check that you have typed your password....' :unsure

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

hmmm, having just spoken to a colleague about this he says that he has seen it before. he changed passwords, spent ages banging his head against a wall trying to figure out what was going on and they suddenly just sprung into life.

he seems to think that it was just replication taking its time, however there were no replication errors in his case, neither are there any in this one either.

:hhhmmm:unsure:hhhmmm

5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Weird. I've often seen domain admin password changes cause havoc (usually when someone has stuck the account in as a service account somewhere and not told anyone) but never seen it only affect non-DCs. Certainly seems, on the face of it, as though there's an issue replicating the password changes around - is your PDC Emulator online and functioning correctly? That's the FSMO role that deals with centralisation of passwiord changes - though I suspect you would have noticed before if there was something wrong with it!

Anything in the event viewer related to account logon/logoff events on the servers affected? Try setting the event logging level up a couple of notches to see if it records anything more helpful than the usual 'logon attempt failed' message

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Set the admin password to NEVER EXPIRES. hope that will do the trick.....

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Niiiiiice and secure...

8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Weird problem.

Total long shot but did you change the password on the DC when you were logged on locally? Just wondering if the Regional and Language options are set to US instead of UK.

Try a simple password (if you don’t have password complexity on) and see what happens.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

The password was changed on the DC that has all of the FSMO roles. All are working correctly and I am seeing no replication errors in event viewer on any of the DC's.

I don't have access to the servers at the minute, but I'll ask the schools network manager to change the logging.

The strange thing about it possibly being replication is why did it work for three days then refuse to work anymore?

The regional settings are definately set to the UK, I know I set them up myself. We've tired simple passwords and its still no different.

It's not a problem if you create an account with a complicated password and never want to change it!!:eek:

Also, this is only affecting Administrators, normal users can change passwords as normal?

Possibility of the system being hijacked by a rootkit perhaps???

:hhhmmm

10. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

If that's the case, you're in a world of hurt... with it being DCs, the phrase 'keys to the kingdom' springs to mind :) I wouldn't suspect something that drastic at the moment though. Can you run a network trace with ethereal when trying to log on? Maybe by plumbing the box into a mirror port on a switch (or even temporarily routing it through a 10Mb repeating hub) you could sniff and see what happens when you try to log on - this may give you more information on where the process is going wrong.

Getting a trace on network activity may help you if you have to put a call into PSS - they'll ask you to set the diagnostic logging level for security events (which logs hideous amounts of data) and may well ask you to run a capture as well. If you can do that and are willing to PM me the .cap file I can take a look at it for you - but I fully understand if you can't because of confidentiality reasons :biggrin

11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Might you accidentally be logging in as the local admin on the member servers? The DCs don't have local accounts, but the member servers do...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. Jay_7

Jay_7 Nibble Poster

I think (I could be wrong of course) that Ethereal no longer exists. I think it's now "Wireshark".

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP
    WIP: CCNA 200-120
  13. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

LOL - pedant!

Old habits die hard... it'll ALWAYS be Ethereal to me :biggrin

You're quite right though, it is called Wireshark now

14. BosonMichael

We old-school techs often use the old-school names. :D

You know, sometime after Alzehimers sets in... :eh

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  15. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Come on Michael! Thats basic troubleshooting! :tongue

16. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Well, they do have local accounts, but these are inactive when the active directory is running. If they did not have a local account, how would you then do a AD restore?

Do the servers where the logon fails have access to the Global Catalog at that time?

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  17. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Yep. Infact one of the member servers is a Virtual Server that sits on the GC server. 8)

18. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Hmmm - following up from Tinus' mail - how is your AD set up? Do you have a single domain or multiple. Recommended GC placement in a single domain environment is for ALL DCs to be GCs as well. However, if you're running multiple domains in your forest then you should ensure that the Infrastructure Master for each domain is NOT also a GC server - this can cause problems with Security Principals.

I've never come across the exact issue you're describing, but I HAVE seen slightly similar ones in multi-domain environments before which were resolved by removing the GC from the IM in each domain.

19. BosonMichael

Well... you know what I mean. :D

20. BosonMichael

Sometimes the simplest things are overlooked. :)

Have you rebooted? Sorry! Couldn't resist!!! :p

EDIT: I'll literally die laughing if that fixes it!!!