Change domain greyed out

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Stoney, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Hi,

I've noticed on of our laptops that the change Network ID and join a domain options are greyed out.

I've tried resetting the TCP/IP protocol but it has made any difference.

I think it may be due to one of the numerous internet connections on the users laptop over writing something, but I am not sure.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a possible cause and solution?

XP Pro + SP2

Thanks,

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Have you logged on as the local admin and tried?

3. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Yes, still no joy though!

4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Hmm does sound like a domain policy in place to stop anyone from removing it from the domain.

Have you tried the domain admin account to remove it?

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Well here's the twist, the user's laptop is part of our old domain and she is having issues connecting to our resources (I wonder why???).

I don't know the full story, but before I joined the old domain went a bit screwy and because no-one here knew anything about networking, W2K3, AD, DNS etc, they just created a new domain and obviously forgot to join this user to it!

So this user is part of the old domain, and I can't get to the option to change the domain she is part of!

6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Hmmm... You could try logging in as the OLD domain admin account, in the hope that its cached somewhere on that PC. Unlikely, but worth a try.

Alternatively you could try a repair installation of XP, this would remove any lingering GPO's and 'should' allow you to change domain.

8)

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

It does look like the old domain GP is cached. Is the old DC available? hee hee! :biggrin

Can you run a sys retore to a point in time before the laptop was added to the old domain?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I've had something very similar happen to a couple if laptops here.

Nto sure why it happened, but trying to change either a laptop from a workgroup or a domain to another domain, the option to do this was greyed out. We tried doing a system restore, we tried in safe mode, but nothing happened. As a last ditch attempt (before we decided we'd rebuild the laptop) we actually went thru the registry and deleted all instances of the workgroup (in one case) and the domain (in the other), once we did that we were able to join the laptop to the new domain.

I'm not saying that it'll work for you, as I don't know what the cause was with ours, but it may work for you.

Anyway, hope this helps

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security