Chances of Getting Back Into IT ?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Rover977, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

Ok, I am aged 40 and have worked as a taxi-driver now for the past nine years, but during that time have kept up my interest in IT, by learning programming skills (C++ and much much more also), and following and recently completing a SkillsTrain course for A+/Network+/CCNA, all of which I have now successfully passed.
    I have worked with real Cisco routers and switches via Live Labs technology, and followed an official Cisco course, so I have real world experience, not just exams passes behind me.

I also worked previously as a software engineer with a large company (NCR) - the world's largest manufacturer of auto-teller machines - for a period of 5 years and then spent a further 2 years as a contractor. This was a long time ago though, I know.

The question is what are my chances of getting a job again in IT. I left NCR voluntarily, partly due to stress factors in life in general, and partly as I felt I wanted a change. However now I feel I have such a broad range of experience behind me, but will my age, or having had such a long hiatus, make it more difficult to get an IT job ?

I have made up a simple web site to assist in my job applications :-

http://www.rossua.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/wsruacsc/

and I wonder is this a good idea in general to have a web-site like this, and what are people's opinions of mine. Would it help me in a job application ?

Thanks in advance for your opinions,

Regards,
    Ross

Certifications: A+, Network+, Cisco CCNA
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

Age don't matter there are people on here much older than you who have found work in IT.

Just carry on applying with your past experience I'm sure you should be able to get a position you want :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Ossian

Ossian Bit Poster

For what its worth, I would NOT post so much personal information on the web site (your CV). A phisher would know enough about you to get a fair bit of credit in your name!

Apart from that, keep applying -- you have some good certs.
    Consider voluntary work to build up the experience

Certifications: MCT, MCSE/A, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP, Sec+
    WIP: Not sure....
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hello and Welcome to CF.

I agree with whats been said. It looks like you have some good knowledge so I wouldnt hesitate about applying for IT jobs. Age dont matter.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

It looks like you have the knowledge to start in IT. To be brutally honest, I'm not to impressed with the website (be careful with the info you post). Saying that, as long as you are not going into web design then I suppose it is very functional. You could get hold of a copy of dreamweaver and do the site up a bit. :D

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  6. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

Thanks for all replies and encouragement. I agree my web-site is nothing too exciting by modern day standards of web design, but with limited time available I have just wanted to include all the relevant info for any job applications which I make, including the PC building and repair projects I have worked on during my studies. I am proud to say I have fixed my own laptop and revived a completely dead PC downed by a power surge during a power cut! (In my programming days I would never have went near this stuff).

Cheers again,
    Ross

Certifications: A+, Network+, Cisco CCNA
  7. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

I suggest you sign on with a few IT Agencies in your local area and see what you get offered.
    I did the same with less qualifications and worked in IT in the NHS for 3 years.
    You may get offered boring jobs to begin with, but with your quals you should at least get entry level jobs to start with.
    Have a look also at www.jobs.nhs.uk which sometimes advertise for IT posts.

Good luck.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  8. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

For what I can see you are an exceptional candidate that shouldn't have many, if any, problems finding your way back into IT or software development.

Various industrires, inckluding games, are screaming out for skills like yours. :)

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.