Certs

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Theprof, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

How many of you guys study for more than one certification at the same time? I find that it can get pretty boring only studying for one cert... I tend to study for two at a time, for example, right now I am studying for VCP4 and CCENT.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

One at a time for me, but really I prefer to just learn stuff without certs most of the time...

Recent stuff I've been messing with is CUDA, Silverlight, Kerberos/JAAS/GSSAPI/SPNEGO, WCF, Guice, Google Collections, Jersey / JAX-RS, Hibernate, Hibernate-Search/Lucene, C# 4.0, MySQL, Jenkins.

The only one I have a cert on is WCF and thats on an older version...

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Cool, I find personally for me, I need variety, I get bored always reading the same book and and learning the same subject... What I usually do is split up the studies for different times, in the mornings/lunch I'll do one cert at night I'll do the other. Hasn't failed me yet though.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Yeah but if you just learn what you need to for work or what interests you, then its not an issue, then you don't get bored.

There is no need to be on a cert bandwagon, seems a very narrow minded way to look at the world.

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

At the moment I have a few things on the go but I try and focus on one or two certs at a time so I eventually take the exam.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I am not on a cert bandwagon, I need to meet certain requirements for certs as a consultant. I know people who do the same, study for 2 certs and like you said, when you actually do the work it's not difficult.

7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I'm kind of in the middle of this thread, I generally learn techs, white papers, articles, practice etc, over certs
    but as a consultant i'm required to maintain them for partner status, and I always prep for a few at the time
    currently VCP5, e20-001, MCITP:VA and MCITP:Lync lol

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I can only focus on one thing at a time mate.

Things are pretty hetic with a new nipper, newish job role and the every day demands of trying to plan new infrastructures.

Love it 8)

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  9. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I'd much rather just read a tech book and mess with the lab than actually go for a cert/exam although now that I want to move on I will have to get the finger out and take some exams

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  10. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

I'm also somewhere in the middle... tend to focus on one thing at a time, but it might be a multi-exam category such as Exchange 2010 where I did the two exams one day apart, but studied the contents as a whole.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  11. mdavies

mdavies Bit Poster

just one at a time for me. i like to take the deep dive and squeeze as much knowledge into my little brain as possible before moving on to the next obsession :)

12. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I study the same course (so currently 70-291) but use several different text/videos - Sybex book on the journey from work, CBT Nuggets vid at work if time, and then MSPress book in the evening - means I get a varied view and not bogged down in the same topic too much - saves getting bored with one thing!

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  13. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

I prefer to focus on 1 at a time

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  14. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

I've been trying to sit the same Windows 7 exam for months now, but Prometric issues keep preventing me :(

I suppose I am studying for more than one cert, but I'm not explicity 'studying' for anything in paticular. My new role gives me several massive multi-tennanted platforms to 'play with', so I guess Exchange, Sharepoint, Lync, DPM, TMG, SQL, AD, Hyper-V, *nix certs etc. are all on the cards! ;)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  15. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Well I'm still trying to sit my first exam, but work keeps me busy so I shouldn't complain :)

I've got 4-6 books based on the A+, I am yet to finish one of them as I keep skipping to different books when I get bored.

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  16. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

Tend to only go after one cert at a time btu that's largely because I very rarely self study them.

Got one I'm very slowly working on now but really could do with pulling my finger out. Hasn't helped the exam is only twice a year so I always keep thinking 'oh it's ages away can do it later on' :p