Certify IT Training

Discussion in 'A+' started by hussainwadiwalla, Apr 21, 2010.

1. hussainwadiwalla

hussainwadiwalla Bit Poster

Hi guy,

Sorry If i haven't found this thread (that is if it has been discussed), anyone had any experience with them for IT training, in particular A+?

Kind regards,

Hussain

Certifications: A+, Network+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Seems like a bit of a rip off if you ask me £370 for the A+ and that is before you purchase the exams making the total cost of £640 or there abouts. YOu could do the A+,N+ and MCDST plus buy the books and study yourself for less than that.

Also if you read their description of the A+ they have the exam numbers wrong you have to pass 220-701 and 220-702 to pass the new A+ exams not 220-701 & 220-602 as they have it. So that would make me wary about them for a start.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. hussainwadiwalla

What would you recommend? What is the difference between 602-701? as I was thinking about using Professor messor alongside a textbook, i noticed his videos are based around 602 material.

Kind regards,

Hussain

4. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

The 6xx exams cover the old objectives from the tests that are due to be retired in the uk in a few months not sure exactly when and they are all ready retired in the US. The 7xx exams are for the newest exams. professor messor has a few videos at the end of his original series that cover the new stuff in the new objectives.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  5. greenbrucelee

the 601 and 602 are the current exam which retire in the uk in august the 701 and 702 and currently running alongside the older exams and will be the main exams to take from August.

Most people on here self study, that is getting the books yourself and studying and practicing yourself then book the exams when you are ready and pass them.

This is how I have done my certs I would not go with any training provider at all.

6. hussainwadiwalla

Thanks guys, you are really help full.

So from what I understand the professor messor material is not relevant in a few months time, so there is no point in learning them? I would have imaged the principles remain the same to some extent.

Any books you guys recommend? I heard Mike Myers name being mentioned on a good few posts, I thought it was from Halloween.

Did you guys ever using testing simulation? how do you prepare for the exam? I would imaging keep going through test questions.

Sorry about the questions, i am a newbie, even though I work in IT.

Kind regards,

Hussain

7. greenbrucelee

prof messer will still help you grasp the basics. Mike Meyers is the best (Michael Myers from halloween will not be helful). You will need his latest book which is compTIA A+ all in one exam guide 7th edition and I would also recommend PC Technician street smarts by James Pyles.

www.proprofs.com will give you free test exams and you can use the one in the book too. However most free exams and free websites will have illegal material on them and if you are suspected of using them you will be decertified for life, can have legal action taken against you and even worse. The best exam simulator I have seen to date will cost you money but it is well worth it is www.boson.com

8. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

The concepts will be the same, what will be different is the new technologies being tested, so for example (and I don't know because it's not something I have looked into) the new exams could be covering Windows 7, i7, x58, AM3 processors, things that wouldn't have been covered in the old exams because it wasn't around at the time.

The Mike Meyers books are pretty much it when it comes to the A+.

As far as exams go, have a look at the likes of Boson, MeasureUP, SelfTest Software or at a push PrepLogic, the only reason I say at a push with Preplogic is that their sales guys are really way too pushy and I don't like that.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  9. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

Like I mentioned above he does have some 700 series videos up on his site. I really enjoy watching his videos if I were you i would watch the 600 series and then watch the 700 series videos and work through the Mike Meyers book. If you don't have a computer you are comfortable taking apart and putting back together then find a cheap used machine somewhere.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  10. hussainwadiwalla

Thanks guys, I have decided to go for the self study way and bought the following book

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CompTIA-Cer...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271870950&sr=1-1

It is Michael Myers, I hope it is the same guy.

How long roughly do the exams upgrade? hopefully not soon as I plan to start studying in September once my Open Uni course finishes.

My method will be:

-- MM Book
    -- Profesor Messor starting point
    -- Boson

regards,

Hussain

11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

BosonJosh and I certainly appreciate it! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. FreeSurfer

FreeSurfer New Member

Ive used them Certify IT , i didnt find them that bad really, training material good support was alright, I payed £135 for mine, i thing greenbruce is misqouting .. overall not to bad

13. greenbrucelee

I Was quoting exactly what it said on the website, it said you had to pass 220-701 and 220-602 to be A+ certified which is wrong both exams have to be from the same series i.e 700 series as the 600 series is now retired. Second the OP said they wanted £370 for the A+ course but he had to pay for the exams himself. I merely said that is a complete rip off you can get the study materials and pay for the exams for less than that.