Certification paths

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by dstorey, Jul 6, 2014.

1. dstorey

dstorey Bit Poster

A little background information for you first.

I am a IT support Trainee. I have a limited background in professional it roles, in fact, I would say I was more of an administrator in my previous roles.

I started this job around 3 months ago, in order to break into the industry I enjoy the most.

With this job role comes a standard low wage salary, but makes up for it dramatically, with offering me any IT related course/certification I would like to pursue. Beginning with the MCSA 70-680 and 70-685 as it is more business critical and role critical for me.

I am due to take the first course over 4 days with the company QA, which I have never used 2 weeks from now. And the second in August over 3 days.

Upon completion and hopefully passing these courses, I am to decide which direction I would like to go in from there. The trouble is, I have no idea. I love the idea of networking and as a career path I could certainly choose worse.

I don't know which is the more valuable in terms of career/salary in the future. I would be lying if I wasn't looking at getting as much money as possible from my career as well as enjoying it.

I have read that cisco is the best route to go down. But would like a more novice course to begin with, in networking. It would be a course I would take along side the certification and I would like any other 'interactive' learning materials available. If there are any that wont cost an arm and a leg.

Thanks for any info and advice in advance.

Darren

2. dstorey

dstorey Bit Poster

To clarify my point, as that was more of a statement.

I am eagerly looking for any and all guidance or the roles to go down.

There are a couple of infrastructure engineers at my place and I love what they do, although have 0 understanding of how they do it.

I am past my prime and can't take a course at length and cannot do a degree due to responsibilities and home costs.

I am however offered backing and support from them in my training.

The word I'm looking for is, Erm HELP?!?!

Thanks again.

Darren

3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. dstorey

dstorey Bit Poster

I have looked over the post. Very insightful.

I guess the question I am in need of answering is, how would I get to their position(infrastructure engineer) in the most efficient manner using certification and work experience as a goal.

I would like to be certified in more than microsoft and cisco looks very appealing, but we don't have much cisco gear at our place now. So I don't know if that would be the better approach given the fact I wouldnt have as much real world experience in using it.

I am taking mcsa, which I'm not sure is the right call, as it is listed as an advanced level of certification, but I am doing the course and it wasn't my choice if I'm honest.

Darren

5. Armand kruger

Armand kruger New Member

Hi guys we'll I'm new my name is Armand and live in SA. ... I have questions about IT path ... I'm at varsity college busy with a diploma in network management. Which is great because there are mostly cert right? To begin with I love IT security and networking... We did comtia A+ but I'm unsure if I'm going to or must do the internasional exam? I want to get network + then security + then casp .... Then I'm going for ccent , ccna r&s , ccna security then I'm thinking of doing cissp and ENSA from ec council and will prob proceed to ccnp with both R&s and security for cisco ... But will the effect of not having A+ count against me ???? I would think that the diploma will cover up for most of that I'm also going to do the mta exams soon ... Thanx very much really would like to know your insights! Armand

6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

All those certs are great but what actual real world experience will you have? Certs are there to prove your experience and at the moment it's not clear to me where that experience is coming from.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    Bluerinse, Sparky and RichyV like this.