certification in India?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Wessun, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Wessun

Wessun New Member

Hi,

I have a 6 month experience in sql server 2000 (database and datawarehouse devlpt) but no IT degree. So I'm looking for a microsoft certification. I was thinking of taking MCTS followed by MCTIP on SQL server 2005.
    Since i'm on a tight budget, I' ve been looking for a way to get it cheapper than in Europe. I found this:
    http://www.networkershome.com/

I have been in serious contact with them for about three weeks, trying to evaluate if this real or not:
    1st. this doesnt look to good to be true
    2 India is known for having good engeeners, so actually, the idea of taking examination there make sense, and there si a business to do with that
    3 they are registered at the prometric center:
    http://www.register.prometric.com/Centers.asp?Page=13
    4 they're location in New delhi is residential area, I checked it

On the other hand,
    1 they propose this super fast track we know it's just not honest, you can't arrrive there and just because you pay more get more learnings skills and getting it in 9 days
    2 they ask me 1000EUR before arrival
    3 there is no customer advice anywhere
    4 Prometric says on it's web site exam in india are only for indians (but only taking the courses would be ok since the exam fee is not much and they assure me that they in fact they need to seek approval from Prometric for them being sure it's not fake)

I've seen few more website like this one, such as:
    http://www.intaglio-solutions.com/
    and
    http://www.koenig-solutions.com/training/delhi_boot_camp.htm#

I'd just like to have some advice from you, and know if anyone have heard of this kind of things.

PS: on request my full mails to them by mp, if you want.

Thanks

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I know someone one these forums who has taken training with Koenig, and has gave positive feed back about them.

The reality is though, do you feel ready to take formal training yet? Or more to the point, do you really need it?

You could simply look at the self study option that is recommended time and time again on these forums. This is quite simply the cheapest, and IMO the best way to study for and pass exams.

8)

3. Wessun

Wessun New Member

I checked out previous converstations on Koenig, he seems to be reliable.

Reasons for why, i'm thinking of going there:
    I've been learning on my own previously, starting from zero, and I found it pretty hard (but I was really starting from zero and didn't know and didn't find where to look at)
    I would anyway study on my own before, but I think since I'm no employed right know, going abroad and focus for a month could give me a good kick in the ass and help me getting quicker on the track.
    I'd like to go to India and maybe take a week off or two afterward.
    I'd like to make some prospections for starting a business there (a friend is trying to get me into this), but this would be more in a long term perspective.

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Before you decide to jump on a plane to either India or China, I would advise you to read this.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Kitkatninja

D'oh didn't see that one :)

Anyway, to pay just under £700 for a course. It may be better to contact your local colleges to see if any of them are MS centres. The college that I (& deadmode) teach in the evenings charge just under £200 per MS course and approx £80 per exam. OK we don't teach the SQL courses, but that's only because there is no need (or want) by the students. For all 3 courses/exams to be taken in the UK (dependant on where you go), will be about the £700 mark - or there abouts.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  6. Wessun

Wessun New Member

I'm checking that one with Koenig (who has in fact lots of reference).
    Who are you? Do you have more infos, links, ...?

7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

To me we now live in a world with globalisation, why shouldn't we be able to take exams and training in any country and pay in any currency ?

If our jobs can be sent to India and China why can't we at least benefit from reduced training costs ?

I've heard good things about koenig, however third world countries do seem to also be largely responsible for the braindumps...

I've currently self studied for all my certs and taken all my exams at UK test centres, when I'm next out of contract I would certainly consider study in India, Cyprus or the US or other countries if its still viable.

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Prometric implemented that policy because of rampant braindumping going on in India and China.

Personally, I'd be concerned taking training from a company in India and China, because braindumping isn't as discouraged as it is in the US and UK... and it STILL takes place far too often here. If a few instructors in the US and UK actively promote braindumps, I shudder to think how many instructors in India and China promote them! :ohmy

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Well i've never witnessed any UK companies directly involved, I'm sure the material for the braindumps must originate in India or China, why not simply refuse to locate test centres in those countries ?

How does a few westerners saving on training affect the issue ? The braindumping will occur by thousands of Indians and Chinese regardless no ? The internet provides a free and easy transport medium, westerners travelling to these countries won't have the slightest affect on braindumping. I'm not sure what the move is trying to accomplish, India and China probably have highest amount of exam corruption, they also have very high price differentials. What about all the other countries ? I could take an exam in Cyprus, Czech Republic, basically anywhere in the world. Americans can take exams in Mexico, and the rest of the americas etc.

The decision again smacks of profits and their bottom line to me, companies want to sell into foreign markets where they can't afford western prices while maintaining margins in their local markets, its the DVD region debacle all over again...

10. Kitkatninja

See here, then download/view online the part-time prospectus.

The exam costs I stated above are ex Vat :oops: Price included Vat is approx £125.

And for the recorded, not only do we actively discourage braindumps, but we also use official MS course material :D

I'm not trying to push down and advertising the place where I work part-time, what I do try to bring across is the fact that not all places offer MS training at extortion prices.

-Ken

11. BosonMichael

Cisco did just that, by opening up their own test centers in India, China, Pakistan, and Hong Kong.

They'd rather the problem be confined to that area. Steps are being taken to clean up braindumping there as well.

In addition, it's not just braindumping that happens there... "gunmen" also operate heavily in those areas. A "gunman" is a term for a person goes in and takes exams for another individual. This restriction prevents Westerners from using gunmen in these countries, where the problem is rampant.

Exam integrity is FAR more important than any "profit" gained through certifications. Trust me, Microsoft and Cisco make very little off of offering certification exams... it's a drop in their bucket. Where they realize their profits is by having well-trained, certified individuals who go out and promote those products... thereby encouraging companies to go out and spend scads of money on Microsoft OSes and Cisco hardware. THAT is where they make their cash.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  12. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Well this should be clear based on the test ID criteria, theres very little way an Indian or Chinese persons gonna look like the average westerner ! :biggrin

In fact if this is the argument a rule like, only non Indian nationals can take exams in India would be more appropriate !

If they can't even warant this and the corruption is that endemic than that merely strengthens my point that they should not operate at all in those regions ?

13. Wessun

Wessun New Member

IMO, the ones who losses from that are (the people of the) western countries who cannot improve they skills 'cause certification (at least in France) is way too expensive. And (ones from) India also losses 'cause they don't get that money when they are so poor (:bigcry :bigcry ).

14. BosonMichael

But dude, that's the problem... those test centers will turn a blind eye to the ID check by sliding some money to the receptionist... why do you think the braindumping goes on there? The test centers are implicit.

In my opinion, they shouldn't operate in those regions... but they probably don't care too much about my opinion. :oops:

15. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

What are braindumps?

16. Kitkatninja

Wiki is your friend: Braindumps

In short: A big No-No :)

-ken

17. Wessun

Wessun New Member

Regarding the posibility for non indian citizen to take the Microsoft examination in India, Kenig made more or less the same answer as did Vikas Kumar from Networkershome.com

18. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

As of 31st of December arent microsoft going to stop doing exams with Vue or Prometric?

19. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

If you haven't already booked with Pearson, then you have to sit Microsoft exams with Prometric. If you have a voucher, it will be honoured until the end of the year.

Boyce

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  20. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

Ok so let me get this straight this is what there doing. You can only sit exams with prometric? As of the beggining of next year right? Then you can only sit exams with prometric in India and China if you are a citizen right?

Wow at least there doing something, id love to see how people would get around that these days.