Certification and the true point of it all

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by JK2447, Sep 3, 2009.

1. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Hi All,
    Sparky has got me thinking about something I'd like to discuss with you all. Certification if done properly and honestly is a great way to demonstrate your knowledge and understanding of a technology BUT what is the point of certification?

Why put yourself through all that hard work, lost family and social time, just to be able to say you are an MCSE, a CCNA or VCP etc?

IMO and this is where I want the debate to focus on, Certification is the validation or proof of what you can already do or what you do in the IT industry to support the business world and public sector.

Certification is highly valued, and can be addictive, but when you weigh it all up, its only a further way to show people what you are capable of. All the certification in the world won't make you a success if you can't "do the job" in a live environment.

I suppose the purpose of my thread is just to point out that whilst certification is addictive, highly thought of and fun IMO, its relatively worthless without the real world experience to reinforce your studies.

Thanks for reading

James

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2009
    Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  2. keithmoon

keithmoon Byte Poster

if your starting off in IT it demonstrates to potential employers that you have intelligence to learn new skills , and also that you understand the concepts of the job. a bit like getting a driving licence after passing your test, just cause you have it doesnt garuntee you will be a good driver but it does show you are able to be when required.

3. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

because the chicks dig it don't they 8)

good thread, good points. I would say though, from the way everyone talks (haven't ever studied them) that entry level certs seem to be there for those who want to LEARN rather than validate experience they have already. I got into IT from doing a uni course which offered a placement, so i managed to get myself proper experience without certs. Although i would say, if i was aware of this site back then, i think i would have started studying for those entry level certs for when i finished uni.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
    Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Hi Keith, I see what you are saying but its not the only way to demonstrate aptitude. I got my first role in IT without a certification or qualification in IT. I agree with you, I'm just saying its not the only way in

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. keithmoon

keithmoon Byte Poster

yeah your right its not the only way in, just increases your chances a good bit having some certs so maybe you have something the other guys going to the interview dont.
    yeah a like to show my girl my mcp card 8) names bond, james bond 70-270 not oo7 :D

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

1. With the exception of entry-level certifications, to validate your experience.
    2. To make yourself more attractive to employers.

Can't get much more simple than that.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. keithmoon

keithmoon Byte Poster

and he likes simple 8)

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

...and chicks dig it. 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!