Certificates

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by StueyT, Jun 4, 2007.

1. StueyT

StueyT Bit Poster

Hello,

I'm planning on taking 70-271 in the next week. I was just wondering what the general makeup of a certificate is? Having a look on Google Images for 'mcp certificate', it doesn't seem to contain the exam number...

Also, is percentage displayed on the certificate?

Cheers

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: MCDST, MCSA, CCNP, CCSP
  2. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

You get a 1 Generic MCP certificate with no mark on it. You only get another certificate when you step up to a higher qualification. Your transcript is the list of MCPs that you hold, again no score is posted.

HTH

3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You don't hold multiple MCPs... you pass exams that give you a single MCP certification. Passed exams do not equal "MCPs". Thus, your transcript isn't a list of MCPs; your transcript tells the exams that you've passed and the certifications that you've achieved.

Sorry, mate... the terminology you use above is the exact reason why people don't understand what an MCP certification really is. :) Not trying to be nitpicky... just trying to help solve the overlying problem.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. StueyT

StueyT Bit Poster

So if im getting this right...

You get an MCP certificate, with no exam number on it, and an extra transcript, or piece of paper, tells you what exams you have passed...?

So If I pass 70-271 and 70-272, I'll get two generic MCP certificates? And also, will another certificate arrive stating MCDST?

One more thing. When showing my employer, or potential employer, I will show them the certificates along with the transcripts?

Cheers

5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

No, you only get one MCP certifcate. When you pass your first Microsoft exam you gain MCP status. You get a certificate for that.

When you pass another exam you will not get another certificate unless it when combined with another exam makes another cert, e.g.

Pass 271 = MCP
    Pass 270 = Still only an MCP
    Pass 272 = MCDST. Because you have already passed 271. 271 and 272 combine to make another cert, so you are now an MCP and an MCDST.

Because you now have a 'higher' cert you get another certificate.

HTH. 8)

6. BosonMichael

As Simon explained, you receive a certificate for every certification you achieve, not for every exam you pass. You will also receive a wallet card that contains the certifications you've achieved (the wallet card won't tell the specific exams you've passed).

You will not receive your transcript in the mail. However, you can print your transcript at any time from the MCP Member Site.

Most employers are fine with seeing your wallet card. However, you can share your transcript from the MCP Member Site so that employers can verify your certification status directly from Microsoft. Verifying your status directly with Microsoft enables employers to have some degree of assurance that you are indeed certified and not just falsifying your credentials (which, unfortunately, has been done by people in the past).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. StueyT

StueyT Bit Poster

Thanks everyone. Michael's last sentence was the reason for me asking, as if the cert didn't have a exam number, surely it can be open for falsification.

Well, its all much clearer now. Thanks a bunch

8. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

BostonMichael

That has never been my expearance; I have been in the business a LONG time and hold a MCSE in W2K.

P.S I have 1 mate and she is a wonderful lady.

9. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

That doesn't mean anything, Sandy. It's just a generic form of salutation (at least here in the UK) and shouldn't be taken any other way.

Love your website, by the way.

WIP: CCNP
  10. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Hmmm, I think 'lass' would be more correct:biggrin

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  11. Tinus1959

I have to jump in for Michael here. He has about every certification there is to get with MS, and a lot of other certs are in his wallet as well. I think the number of passed exams is in the direction of 80 or so.

BTW, that's Boson as in Boson test exams. He writes those things.

12. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Perhaps, I am of an older generation and the term mate is not used in the way you describe. I was always taught that you should know who you are addressing when writing.

Thank you for your kind words

13. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Sandy, is a common Scottish male name. A short name for Alexander.

14. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

I have no problem with that; I am just pointing out that in 25 years of practical experance in the IT business I have never come accross any confusion regarding the status of an individual and the number of exams that they have passed.

15. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Heading slightly off topic here guy's but the new generation of MCTS certs are designed to head off any confusion about things such as this. 8)

16. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Mate.. i am of the older generation too.. born and bred and lived in London for 45 years.. the term mate has *always* meant friend.. nothing more nothing less.. it is used in context of friend far more than any other.. here in Australia it is the same, except the Aussies pronounce it more like maite. :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  17. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Pass Pete the salt!

Sorry Pete, it is never a word that was ever used where I was brought up (the far North West Coast of Scotland), never a word I've used and is never used at work.

I've posted here since the first days of the board; I was one of the first Mods and have always found this place an area on the web where individuals are respected for the the work they have done, their hard work and determination in getting certfied by honest means. Alas BostonMicheal's, and others, tone has dented the respect that I have for this place and so wish you all luck and shall bid you all a fond goodbye.

18. BosonMichael

Goodness, there are a lot of other things in this world to get worked up over than being called "Mate". :rolleyes:

Perhaps I should have gotten worked up similarly about not only having my name Michael misspelled as Micheal, but also by the implication that I'm from BOSTON!!! OH, THE HUMANITY!!!!! :ohmy

See ya, mate. 8)

19. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

WTF :blink

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  20. Tinus1959

I did not know that. I apologize.