Cert Training Online with Hands on RemoteAccess Labs for practical experience?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by certif, Oct 10, 2014.

1. certif

certif New Member

Hi All,

Anyone had any experience or know of reputable sites where you can do "online certification training" (MCSE 2012, CCNA, etc) at my own pace.

The site could provide the training materials for study i.e books/ebooks/videos (or I can get my own CBTs/books etc) but a definite requirement to avoid having to buid rigs and get all the equipment I would need an online test lab/rack depending on what certification I'm aiming for. And renting it from the site would allow me to put what I learn to use and play with practical side of things.

Once I signup I'd pay either monthly fee to use their training material/video's and their test labs/servers/switches/routers for the hands on practical.

Anyone know of good sites like this? I've heard of some but not sure what which ones are reputable and have up to date lab equipment/materials.

What do you recommend?

Thanks for any help to bring my skills up.

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I've used some virtual labs for pentesting, which was ok.

In general I think its worth building VM's, playing with hardware, installing, partitioning, backups, yourself when starting out.

If you're MCSE material you should be capable or emulating most of the labs yourself with Vmware on a decent desktop/laptop.

AWS give you windows images that you can mess with. They don't provide client OS's however or exchange so not sure how practical it would be for MCSE.

If I were to do CCNA I'd either do night classes at college and use their racks or I'd buy a cheap CCNA kit off ebay, maybe both.

Unless you're a travelling salesman or lorry driver its probably easier to stay hands on until you build experience.

There are some expensive low quality vendors in the 'online CBT and lab' space so I'd definitely be careful.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014