Cert Self study?

Discussion in 'A+' started by kamakazy07, Dec 13, 2009.

1. kamakazy07

kamakazy07 New Member

hi everyone, i was just wondering if i would be able to get A+ cert by self study...(mike meyers / cbt nugget videos) over the training courses. Given my backround with computers is nothing more than at home use ( which i use alot) and i do know the basics of how computers work. Realistically would it be worth my time to take a training course or just continue with the books/videos? And it would be great if someone can give me a time frame it takes to study/pass this cert. =D

2. dino66uk

dino66uk Nibble Poster

Hello there,

When i started the A+ certification i had very basic computer skills. It took me just over a year to pass the 2 exams 601/602.

If you are going to self study i would recommend the following resources:

With self studying you need to be self disciplined, motivated and determind to suceed.

what ever you do dont sign up to any training providers.

If self studying is a problem, and you want to pass quicky i recommend you go to college and do the A+.

Goodluck with what you decide to do.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
    Certifications: A+ CCENT
    WIP: ICND 2
  3. kamakazy07

kamakazy07 New Member

Over a year? i was hoping i could do it b4 the new test sets in feb28th.
    Do you think this is a realistic goal if i work hard at it?
    Also, when you did your study did you just read the book and take notes/highlight then when you finished go over it all in detail or......
    im really not sure, just trying to figure out the best way to go about this:rolleyes:

4. miflandia

miflandia Byte Poster

I needed over a year as well. But because i have a full time job(not IT), i used only the weekends for learning, and usually i had just couple of hours each time. In the Meyers book there is calculation which says if you are total newbie you need at least 200 hours of study time. I think if you go with that 200 hours (and give yourself an extra 10-20 to just do some practice exams and preparing) you can calculate the time you need and the time you have.
    + my opinion
    I left nearly a month gap between the 2 exams. I would do the same way again.
    + If you using the Meyers AIO, that is only 1100...

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
    Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Don't forget that there are two exams.

Although there is a great deal of overlap, you essentially need to study both subjects.
    You need to factor that time (and cost) into it.

You also need to be extremely careful.
    If you pass one exam before they retire, but not the other, you'll pretty much have to start again from scratch.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

According to CompTIA the A+ doesn't retire in the UK until aug 31st 2010.
    In my opinion there is no need for a training course to do the A+. There's nothing conceptually difficult (at least, nothing you'll be tested on) and there's shedloads of tutorials etc on the web.
    No one can give you a timescale for you, as there are too many factors.
    How much knowledge do you already have?
    How much time can you study per week?
    How well do you study?
    Do your study methods optimise your learning?
    Do you have a good memory?

See what I mean.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  7. Simit

Simit Bit Poster

See this is where I'm a little confused, as some say it's 28th Feb.

I contacted CompTIA regarding the retirement date though and received this email:

"Dear Candidate,

The exams, 220-601 through 220-604, remain relevant and are in use by organizations and educational institutions throughout the world. These exams will remain in the market until February 28, 2010*, to allow all who are training or studying with current materials to complete their course of study. *The A+ 600 series retires in the UK and Australia/New Zealand on August 31, 2010, A+ JK0-601, 602, 603, 604 - all languages- August 31, 2010, A+ 220-601, 602, 603, 604, 611, 612 all translations – August 31, 2010

Both the 2006 & 2009 objectives and exams will run concurrent until the 2006 is retired on the February 29, 2010 date.

There will be a bridge exam for candidates who certified both exams with the 2006 objectives. Earlier certifications and previous updates will not qualify for the A+ bridge exam.
    "

So going off that, we in the UK have got until the end of August 2010 then, right?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
    Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: MCITP: 70-680/685/686 + CCENT
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

It's february in the US, August in Europe.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. kamakazy07

kamakazy07 New Member

i guess i should have specified that i live in the US

thanks for the help... i have decided to study hard and try to take the test b4 feb 28th, and if not at least i will have alot of the material covered.

10. Unemployed Diogenes

Unemployed Diogenes Nibble Poster

i already have A+, but now i saw the book and online Curriculum from Cisco "IT essentials". In my opinion this is a much better preparation for Comptia A+ than Mike Meyers all in one.
    It's more to the point and less unimportant details and more focussed on the questions from the real exam.

Certifications: A+, Bachelor IT
    WIP: CCNA