Cern's Vital Statistics

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Arroryn, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I know the CERN project has fallen out of the press recently, but I've actually started reading the Computer Weekly and Computing Magazine that land on my desk each week.

This week, Computing has a section on the technology behind Cern - man I'd had to do tape backups for this place :rolleyes: :biggrin

Man, that'd make some noise.

The pace of technology is quite, quite scary.

I know that compared to some of you I'm a bit wet-behind-the-ears where IT is concerned, but even I had my beloved CPC-464 before moving on to my first 'proper' PC - a Packard Bell (ptoeey) with a 1GB hard drive and 8MB RAM.

1GB then was *massive* but I remember having to upgrade the RAM within months to run games I wanted.

But 1GB was massive then, and a small matter of 10 years later I possess a lappy with a 250GB HDD and a 1.5TB external hard drive is well within my sites for a Crimbly present.

So we already have 120GB (or is it 160GB now) MP3/MP4/video players.

How long before they're 1TB?

And when I finally spawn children, are they going to be running around with iPods that have 1PB of storage?

That's just scary...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I've managed to blag these as well to my house - if I earnt a little more, the actual subscription charge would definitely be worth it.

I wonder whether there will be a limit that we don't breach - games get bigger, MP3s mostly stay the same but players are storing more and more, apps and OSs get bigger, digital photos get bigger - there must come a point when having any one of the above in the bigger version again will produce undistinguishable results...... I wonder when?

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  3. flounder10

flounder10 Nibble Poster

I believe that it will get to the point that we dont worry about the storage space for things as there will be so much space available, its unbelivable.

I mean, 1PB iPod... that is unreal and you are going to need a MEGA amount of songs/albums to come close to worrying about the storage capacity.

WIP: Net+, MCDST, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA, CCNP
  4. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I used to do that job at the Atlas centre at RAL , Harwell . We used to look after our chunk of JANET aswell

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots