CEH & CHFI Options

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by glasgowgolfer, Aug 14, 2008.

1. glasgowgolfer

glasgowgolfer Bit Poster

Guys, ive been looking all over trying to find the best & (cheapest) place to do the CEH & CHFI, so far the cheapest bootcamp is in India @ Koenig , they will train you one on one for 5 days for around £850 ,(per Exam) thats one instructor all to yourself , you go @ your pace and that includes a serviced appartment or hotel, all meals and the exam @ the end, its cheaper if you wish to do it in a group,(return flight from UK around £400-£500, i too have been dogged by training companies after i expressed my interest in taking a course, i have been told it is possible to do this through self-study as long as your employer will confirm you have had some security experience, as a CCNA i have been involved with setting up access lists & worked with firewalls so i am hoping this will be enough to allow me to sit their exam, i aquired some CEH training videos(career academy) from ebay along with some cryptography books, hacking for dummies, wireless hacking for dummies, Hacking Exposed 5th Edition: Network Security Secrets and Solutions & im looking to purchase an official book from CEH, im hoping this will see me through, EC-Council have just released V6 of the CEH exam but you can still sit the V5 untill June 2009, the exam can be taken through Prometric for £137 im hoping to have both Certs within 6 months as im studying around 20 hours per week, sooner would be great, i have started seeing more & more Police Forces placing Vacancies for Civillian Computer Forensic investigators , and this is where i ultimately see myself,
    cheers

Certifications: CCNA Comp tia A+ , Juniper , Extreme.
    WIP: CEH , CHFI
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

<<Internal Server Error>> An error occurred whilst saving post. Periods unavailable.<<Internal Server Error>>

Please. That entire post is one huge mess. Please Please use punctuation to end sentences!

That said, was there really any need to post exactly the same post twice? Not even mentioning the fact that you felt the need to resurrect a post that is almost 1.5 years old.

Oh, and whilst im here. Welcome to the Forum!

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Agreed. *whistles a moderator over*

Case in point - I particularly liked the "@" symbols. :p

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  4. glasgowgolfer

glasgowgolfer Bit Poster

oh lets laugh at the new guy on the Forum he made a mistake. i join this forum looking for some help & advice and you dig me up for what ...punctuation and replying to an old post...jesus, what next? is someone gonna steal my dinner money from me...

5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

"Hand it over golfie or biggins ere will thump ya !" :box2

Welcome to certforums ! :)

Someone already mentioned a place in cyprus in this thread, might be cheaper for some...

CEH have a points system which kinda puts me off...

For example say I write some security code but don't publish it, I get no points, if I hand over a whad of cash to go to a CEH conference I get points, go figure...:hhhmmm

I'd kinda like to own my certs, not have them own me, glad my Uni doesn't try and tap me for cash every ten minutes !

6. Fergal1982

Only if its notes! I dont bother shaking down the new blood for anything less than that. But a ceremonial dunking in the loos isnt out of the question... :biggrin

Its not really too much to ask that you use proper punctuation is it? You wouldn't write to a prospective employer like that would you? Take it however you will, but its simply a request that you post properly, rather than in a single unending paragraph. Its much much easier to read when its properly structured. And it means that, because its easier to read, people are less likely to just skim the text, and so will provide you with the response you are looking for. I'm not one to rail on people for incorrect use of grammar/punctuation in general. I dont expect you to use professor level english, just that you use some.

As for the resurrecting. perhaps you werent aware of the etiquette. Ok, fair enough. For the record, its considered... inappropriate (in general) to resurrect dead threads (unless you are the OP updating the thread with more recent information - in which case its generally acceptable). For all other stuff, you should really start a new thread (although theres nothing wrong with referencing the old thread). There. Now thats cleared up.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  7. glasgowgolfer

glasgowgolfer Bit Poster

There's even a Training provider chasing me & telling me if i buy the self study from them the EC-Council wont even check my background !!!

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Forum members, be gentle: I directed GlasgowGolfer here because he didn't believe what I had to say in this CertCities post. I'll copy-paste the meat of what I advised there:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Fergal1982

Its a fair point you know. Of course, you could try just buying the books and seeing how you get on, then consider whether you want to get on a boot camp or training course.

After all. If you buy the books, then go onto a course, you have the books to support your learning, so you havent lost anything. If the books are enough, you've saved yourself a bucketload of cash! win-win.

10. glasgowgolfer

glasgowgolfer Bit Poster

Thanks Fergal, if you look at my original post you will see the books i have bought, i have decided to go the self study route , i thought what the heck i got my CCNA through self study so why cant i do the same with the CEH & CHFI, It appears that the EC-Council provide a very good self study guide for the CHFI but they dont do an equivalent for the CEH :cry:....

11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Now, aren't you glad I pointed you this direction? :) Stick around... there's a good group here.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

The thing about the CEH, GG, is that it is an absolute basic security cert. My last employer (a medium-sized UK police force) paid for me to sit the CEH (I was their security admin). It cost about 2500 quid and was an intensive (read 14 hour days) five day course in Oxford. I learnt pretty much nothing there that I didn't know already - but the exam is still reasonably difficult because, although only 'an inch deep' is 'a mile wide'. Some of the questions I had were ridiculously out of date, talking about attack methods that wouldn't work on anything more modern than an NT 4 pre-SP6 box, so the actual benefit to you will be pretty small. In addition, the cert itself, whilst not completely useless, isn't particularly well-regarded in security circles partly because of the above problems, and partly because it doesn't really prove you know anything related to actual penetration.

The CHFI isn't much better - but is much more related to the line of work you are looking to get into. One of the guys I worked with moved from Systems into the Forensics department (Economic Crime Unit). he paid for the CHFI himself, but they weren't the slightest bit interested in anything related to it at his interview other than his experience in using Encase.

I'd advise you to save your money completely - the course I attended for the CEH was enjoyable, but I would have felt seriously short-changed if I'd paid for it myself!

Finally, any bootcamp done in India, Malaysia, Vietnam or anywhere else with a reputation for braindumping/gunmen etc will carry less weight with a savvy employer simply because the chances that you'll have cheated to obtain the cert are greater.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  13. glasgowgolfer

glasgowgolfer Bit Poster

Thanks for the advice zebulebu i really appreciate it, although youv'e now given me a bit of a dillema:ohmy.
    Here was me thinking all i had to do was get my CEH & CHFI and i would be the Man, now im back to thinking i should recertify my CCNA ......then do a CCNP or CCVP..:blink...Im just trying to make myself more employable..
    Ive been away from Networking for a year & half but im sure it would come back to me ..aaarrrggghhh

14. newkoba

newkoba Byte Poster

i have my ceh and it was basically security+ +. it wasn't anything major, but i did do the offensive security training which was all vpn based and it was phenomenal. i can't say enough about the offensive security course and people who run it. the education is far superior to anything else i've found as far as security "training" goes. check them out at http://www.offensive-security.com/

Certifications: Security + and CEH
    WIP: CWNA and CWSP