CCVP renew CCNA??

Discussion in 'Voice' started by rehanahmeds, Jun 5, 2008.

1. rehanahmeds

rehanahmeds New Member

if i give ccvp paper will it renew my ccna as well. i gave CCNA back in 2001...

i have heard if you give professional paper ccna gets renewed.... i dont know if it applies to CCVP or CCNP.. any comments

2. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

rehanahmeds,

According to the current CCNA - Career Certifications & Paths webpage, it states "CCNA certifications are valid for three years." Therefore, if you were CCNA certified in 2001, your CCNA certification was scheduled to expire in the year 2004. Back in 2001, you had to have passed either the 640-507 CCNA or the 640-607 CCNA exam. The 640-607 CCNA exam was available until 30SEP2003. So in order to recertify your CCNA certificate by 2004, you would have had to either retake the 640-607 CCNA exam before 30SEP2003, take the 640-811 ICND exam before your CCNA expiration in 2004, the 640-801 CCNA exam before your CCNA expiration in 2004, or any exam with a 642-### prefix before your CCNA expiration in 2004. Did you recertify your CCNA certificate before it was scheduled to expire in 2004? If not, then your CCNA certificate expired back in 2004 and you'd have to have taken either the 640-822 INTRO & 640-816 ICND exams or the 640-801 CCNA exam to become CCNA certified again. If so, did you take any actions to recertify your CCNA certificate before 2007? If not, you also have an expired CCNA certificate so no amount of taking and passing the exams leading to the CCVP certificate will certify you as a CCNA. As a matter of fact, you will not become CCVP certified unless you currently hold an active CCNA certificate. Use the Cisco Certificate Tracking System to verify if your CCNA is active or expired.

So in summary, only if your CCNA certificate is currently valid will taking and passing a 642-### exam will recertify your CCNA certificate. If your CCNA certificate is expired, then taking and passing a 642-### exam will NOT recertify your CCNA certificate and you would have to become CCNA certified again under the current CCNA certificate requirements.

I hope this helps.

Source:
    1. CCNA - Career Certifications & Paths - Cisco Systems - http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le2/le0/le9/learning_certification_type_home.html
    2. Retired Certification Exams - IT Certifications and Career Paths - Cisco Systems - http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le11/learning_retired_certification_exams_list.html
    3. Cisco Certification Tracking System - https://i7lp.integral7.com/durango/do/login?ownername=cisco&channel=cisco&basechannel=integral7

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

In summary:

Will passing a CCVP exam renew an active CCNA? Yes.
    Will passing a CCVP exam renew an expired CCNA, like yours? No.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

So in the whole hierarchy of the cisco certs, if you pass a high-up exam, it will automatically renew all the certs below it? So if you have 4 cisco certs that build on themselves, you'll only need to renew the top cert??

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  5. BosonMichael

Passing any 642-level exam renews all associate-level (CCNA, CCDA) and professional-level (CCNP, CCDP, CCVP, CCSP, CCIP) certifications. The 642-level exams are typically part of the professional-level tracks (640-level exams are associate-level tracks).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. rehanahmeds

rehanahmeds New Member

so even if I pass 642 professional level exam it wont help me cause the exam i gave is expired and not active anymore.... hmmm thats annoying but i think its time to upgrade after 7 years lolz...

thanks alot guys...

7. BosonMichael

Exactly right. Had you passed a 642-level exam right before your CCNA expiration date, it would have extended your CCNA for another 3 years (and you would have had to renew it yet again before those 3 years were up).

8. ColinCamper

ColinCamper Bit Poster

Even more bad news....

The 2008 CCNA will be like the 2002 CCNP :(

The good news....

Cisco certified people are getting like hens teeth so rates are improving towards where they should be. :D

Certifications: CCNA MCP
  9. BosonMichael

There is no 2008 CCNA... it's the 2007 CCNA.

And what do you mean by saying that it will be like the 2002 CCNP? In difficulty? In content? With regards to pass rates? Not sure what you're saying...

10. jamessimo

jamessimo Banned

Just like to ADD if you have a Valid CCNA, and you pass any of the new CCNA concentrations. It will renew the original CCNA. So those 640's renew the data and networking CCNA

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCTS,CCNA,CCNAV
    WIP: ccnp,ccvp,ccdp.ccip