CCNP VS CCNA security

Discussion in 'Network Security' started by samcode, Jul 30, 2009.

1. samcode

samcode Bit Poster

Hi..............
    Is it essential to do my CCNP before my CCNA security(I plan to go into the security stream).Some say CCNP gives a lot of basic must have information before going to security...Is it true?????

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNA security
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I don't think you need to do the CCNP before the CCNA Security... but I'd highly recommend the CCNP before the CCSP.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. samcode

samcode Bit Poster

Hi Micheal,
    Thanks for the information mate....

Is it okay to atleast complete my CCNA security and CCNP(as u had suggested) before completing college ????

Do u think that i should do all the professional courses after real world experience or is it ok to do the CCNP before college ??????

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I think you should wait on doing ANY Cisco exam until you have real-world experience.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. samcode

samcode Bit Poster

Thanks a lot mate....All of u have the same general opinion and hence i now know exactly what to do...

6. SuPaStA

SuPaStA Nibble Poster

A CCNP qualification is a lot more advanced than a CCNA Security Qualification.

For starters you need a CCNA qualification as a Prerequisite for both, the CCNP is 4 Exams
    but the 1 Security exam (640-553 IINS) is just a "add-on" to your CCNA.

At the end of the day its the difference between a Cisco Professional and Associate in the cisco Qualifaciton scheme of things.

Certifications: CCNA,MCSE,ITIL,Server+,Security+,N+...
    WIP: CCNP