CCNP via the OU

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by derkit, Jan 18, 2010.

1. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

As part of a Masters degree or Postgraduate diploma you can take the 4 modules that make up the CCNP qualification - it doesn't include the Prometric exams but there is nothing stopping you doing it.

Each course is £1200 and takes about 8 months.

What is the congregations thoughts about this type of qualification - two for one? Or an expensive way to CCNP?

(For the record, I'm not looking to do it, just floating the thought balloon! :biggrin )

Edit: remember the link numbnuts! Linky

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
    Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I love the fact the OU is letting you get certs alongside an academic qualification, seems a good idea in general as long as quality is kept high and at least some modules of your degree are vendor neutral.

I think the OU's pricing for Masters level really needs looking at, especially where the hard work has largely been done for them with things like Cisco academy materials etc.

I'm not a Cisco guy so hopefully others will comment but if its £1200 x 4 then I'd find that kind of cost prohibitive and would have thought that you could get good CCNP tuition for less ?

3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

I agree with everything DMarsh has said and also think that whilst the OU's tutors are likely to be very good, £4800 is expensive for CCNP training and then your exam fee's, possible resits etc. Its gonna get messy. Cisco Lab Rat is probably a good member to comment on this but apart from cost, I'm a fan of the OU's work.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

I don't think i would ever purchase a course to study cisco certs. Maybe that's just me, but i see self-studying the only option needed.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  5. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

My thoughts were not wholly based around the £4800 cost for the CCNP - which can be made cheaper by training companies or self-studying like daniel mentioned - but it is 2 thirds of a Masters degree - I was considering the Information Systems MSc but this then caught my eye (probably not for myself though) and thought for those wanting a Masters, it may not be the worst way in the world to achieve it - especially if you have/want network experience.

6. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Good points Derkit, but there is a huge variety of Masters degree offerings out there.

1. Some can be largely undertaken part time with a bunch of week long fulltime professional courses, 3-4 each year.

2. Some can have work projects assessed and credit given.

3. Some are course based ('taught masters') and others research based.

4. Some give substantial credit for certifications, even when they are not taken with the college.

5. Others like the OU require the certs to be taken with the college.

6. Some Masters are advanced courses for true experts, others are 'conversion masters' and often cover less than a BSc.

Costs can vary from £2000 to £100,000.

With masters providing valuable income to cash strapped universities many courses are offered which are unlikely of result in a ROI for most students and many are essentially 'buying a degree'.

When I looked an OU MSc came out around £12,000 which is not cheap considering its largely distance learning.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  7. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Quick question, would the OU accept the CCNP gained from other venues (either self-study or if you learned it from another organisation) as a direct replacement for the 4 modules that you'd have to do otherwise?

If "yes", then it is an expensive way.

If "no", then does it really matter if you do the modules that relate to the CCNP? You have to complete x amount of modules in order to gain the Master's degree - it just depends what you choose, and from what I've seen the modules are all the roughly the same price.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. Kitkatninja

Could you point me in the direction of the Masters for £2k, please?... The cheapest I've found is £5k (and that's going to go up once additional funding is cut from HE) :(

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  9. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Fair point Ken, its a little hazy but heres what I was thinking.

I saw a few that basically accredited your experience and these were around £5k and the remaining project/course aspect could be completed in 6 months part time.

I heard a guy was doing a space masters for around £2k, but this was office watercooler type chat, unclear if he meant £2k all in or £2k PA.

Also I wasn't really trying to limit my pricing geographically to any one country, which perhaps is unhelpful, but with some todays online degrees maybe somewhat appropriate.

I looked at research masters and £2000-£3000 PA part time was not uncommon, but you also had to fund your living expenses. I'm not sure if they would charge more for fulltime, some universities are really keen to effectively have 'free researchers' so maybe not, fulltime MSc could be done in one year.

Various funding, sponsorship and bursaries etc are available for research masters and Phd's so that can kind of skew the debate also.

Apparently government funding in the UK is pretty low and getting worse for advanced degrees, one lecturer mentioned that nearly all their masters students are now from overseas and it certainly seemed that way when I looked about. Apparently most of europe funds masters at a higher level.

10. Trogdor

Trogdor Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

I think this sounds like a good deal. If you are looking to do both a Masters and a CCNP, this looks like a great way to do them both. The cost can be prohibitive - but only from the point of view of someone who is looking to just train for the CCNP. Most of the other Masters study paths cost about the same with the OU (some are cheaper but you have to take more courses). Add that to the OU being the largest Cisco Academy in the country, and it sounds win / win. I am considering doing the CCNA with the OU as part of my BSc and it does look very tempting.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Server+, PDI+, MCDST, HP APS Server, HP APS Desktop / Laptop
    WIP: ITIL, CCNA, MCSA, and BSc
  11. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Yes but OU BSc level courses are 1/3 to 1/4 of the price of their MSc courses ! :D

Its much better value at that level.

12. Trogdor

Trogdor Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Agreed. I think I boils down to what perspective you are looking at it from. If you are approaching these courses as someone who is looking to get the CCNP and is not particularly fussed about getting a Masters, it does not seem like good value for money as there are many other very good training options out there for getting the CCNP. If you are looking at it from the perspective of wanting the Masters and also interested in gaining industry recognised qualifications it does represent good value.

I managed to crunch some numbers on the cost of a few of the MSc options on offer in the computing and ICT department of the OU and the CCNP (Advanced Networking) track was the cheapest I found (2k cheaper than the Masters in Software Development) - maybe they are passing on some savings due to a large part of their curriculum being provided by Cisco. The most expensive part of the Masters is the research project. Below are the costs I have totted up for a few of the Masters degree tracks:

Advanced Networking / CCNP £6550

Information Systems £8130

Software Development £8565

Certifications: A+, Network+, Server+, PDI+, MCDST, HP APS Server, HP APS Desktop / Laptop
    WIP: ITIL, CCNA, MCSA, and BSc
  13. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Software Development is 120 points of courses + 60 point dissertation.

60 point project £1750

Most interesting courses are 15 point courses.

120 / 15 = 8

The courses are around £1000 each, 8x1000 = £8000.

8000+1750 = £9750, so around £10k for an OU Masters.

You can get an Oxford University Masters part time based largely on week long courses for around £18k.

I quite liked the look of these :-

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/csc/teaching/taughtdegrees/msc/

http://www.cse.illinois.edu/academics/CS.html

but am not really sure what I will do at present, I'm also no spring chicken, so its hard for me to see an ROI in my lifetime on any fulltime course.

14. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Was thinking of Information Systems myself..... will probably be a couple of years down the line yet though! 8)

15. Kitkatninja

When I do finally decide to go for my Master's, it'll either be the MSc in IT Management or the MBA (most likely via the DMS route). However a big part of it is time and finances, especially when you have a family...

-Ken

16. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

My p/t course (over 2 yrs) at Southampton Solent is £1440 per yr :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  17. Kitkatninja

I hate you... In my area it's cost a minimum of £2500 at our local Uni, cheaper than some, but not as cheap as yours :(

-ken

18. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

PMSL :lol:

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  19. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

You know you want to do both :D

20. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Good thougts/discussion guys - another angle to think about - does it matter where you do your masters? Does it matter what the "title" of it is?