CCNP self-study

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by geezer, Oct 12, 2007.

1. geezer

geezer New Member

Hi

Not long on this forum, today actually! Well I just want to know if anyone has managed to 'self-study' their way to CCNP as I did with CCNA via the 'Lammle' book.

I have some experience of networking and have a small home network (1600,1700, 2600 and 1900s) to practice with but want to know what books/lab is needed for the latest exams.

TIA.

Certifications: CCNA
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I self-studied for the CCNP using Cisco Press, Sybex, documentation on Cisco.com, and real-world experience.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

No you didn't, you liar.

You used an imbalance in the force, and an addiction to caffeine.

In all seriousness, Geezer, it depends on how you prefer to study, and what experience you have.

I see you mentioned in your welcome thread you already have good experience in IT/with comms - do you have Cisco gear at your workplace/as your main focus? If so, that'll put you on good ground for the CCNP anyway.

If you prefer the hands-on element, get yourself a nice lab together and beat it to death with an egg-whisk. Book-wise, I don't suppose you can go (too far) wrong with the CCNP recommended material. Aside from that, as I am only on CCNA myself, I'd be guessing.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. BosonMichael

Young Padawan... it is Force, with a capital F... 8)

...what do you think caffeine is made from? THAT'S why there's an imbalance in the Force... I'M CONSUMING IT! :eek: :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Don't you mean Farce not Force? :twisted:

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. geezer

geezer New Member

Thanks for the witty reply :)

I have a network at work but apart from vlan/port changes not much happens really :rolleyes:

I have a small home rig but a 1600,1700 and 2600 as well as a couple of 1900 switches may be, now correct me if I am wrong, a little short of what CCNP requires? No egg whisk in the house though so maybe an electric blender would be required. :biggrin

I found http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/158720178X/ref=s9_flash_asin_image_5/202-2356200-8799822?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-5&pf_rd_r=1WNCFTVNB2M0960G21MM&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=141222091&pf_rd_i=468294 but no reviews :cry:

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Pour some water over the Cisco kit, should make things more interesting! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

In that case, I'm not purposely advertising, but have you checked out the Boson Sims? http://www.boson.com/AboutNetSim.html

It's cheaper than buying the CCNP kit, and let's face it, you can't break software, can you? And if you manage it, you'd be well within your rights to harass Mikey for a refund :tongue

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  9. BosonMichael

I do have the ability to pull a few strings. 8)

Thanks, Arro! :hug

10. geezer

geezer New Member

Thanks for the info. Maybe I will take a look at the sim software.

After having done some research on the Cisco Press study guides there are mixed reviews of the self-study or exam cert guides and I am slightly biased towards the cert guides but does anyone know if they are ok and if enough to pass exam?

Ta

BTW, haven't seen Flat Eric for years! Nice avatar Sparky!

11. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

geezer,

The Cisco Self-Study Guides are designed for those who want to learn the exam material at a self-paced learning rate. The current BSCI and BCMSN Self-Study Guides have an equipment list in them with hands-on exercises to learn the material. The Cisco Exam Certification Guides are designed to be "self-paced boot camp" towards passing the the exam itself.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA